Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Bench/Arbor from Ipe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outdoor Bench/Arbor from Ipe

ipe1.jpg
    Some wood arrived Friday morning. I've never seen delivered wood packaged so (frustratingly) well in my life! Cardboard was wrapped around bubble wrap and the ends all plastic wrapped...several times! I swear (and believe me I don't swear!) it took me 20 minutes per package to get all that stuff off! But underneath...

ipe2.jpg
    ...was some pretty stuff! I'm looking forward to building this project. This is some heavy, dense wood!

ipe3.jpg
    Here it sits in my back yard acclimating for a week although I doubt I'll be getting to it for several weeks.

Now what to build?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-24-2015 at 7:24 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

There are 20 5/4 x 6" x 7' boards. That is 87.5 bf.
    There are 2 4 x 4 x 7' posts. That is 14.3 bf.

Oh yeah looks good to me,Is it Ipe? I just sneezed Ipe make me sneeze.

Yes! It is most certainly Ipe! These boards weigh a ton!

Looks darn good. Buying wood without seeing it first makes me nervous, but that looks darn good.

Chris, who did you buy it from?

Also, was it sent by UPS/FEDEX? (Didnt realize theyd handle wood that long).
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What to build?????......hmmmmm!!!!!!......how about a 70 square foot deck??

I purchased all this from Ipe Depot which is basically Advantage Lumber.

They have a nice sale going on for ipe decking which is basically what I bought.

For me, they shipped it up from in Southern California in a truck for $160, which I found quite reasonable. It showed up 5 days from ordering it despite them telling me it would be 10-14 days.

I'm quite pleased with what I got. There are a few saw marks on some of the planks but one face is always good so no biggie but everything looks quite straight. Most of the boards are very clear with few knots so I don't expect any movement issues with most of the boards. The posts look very nice and clean.

While these boards are considered 'decking,' I won't be building a deck per se....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-24-2015 at 1:28 PM.

Nice Chris!!

It looks like you have an interesting project going there.

I used Advantage Lumber to buy the Bubinga flooring for our kitchen. I too was very pleased with the quality and condition of the material.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

supplies.jpg

A few other items showed up with the decking. I plan to face screw everything so I picked up some plugs.

Mike, that is good to hear. Sounds like we have a good place for good lumber. I kinda wish they had a local spot up here in the BA now.

bench-pergola1.jpg

So this is what I'm planning to build. I guess it is a bench arbor? Pergola? It will be a spot to lay and dry out after swimming.

We'll have pots on either side of it and grow some kind of vine thingy through it...maybe.

We are resurfacing our pool and redoing most of the back yard with new stamped concrete so I think this will be a nice addition to everything.

Chris

I think that's going to look very nice. Beats drying out sitting on the diving board as a kid. ( Are those still allowed in backyard pools?) If you could control it, Wisteria, that would look stunning. Small leaf English Ivy would be easier to control.
    Ipe was a great choice for it too. It will weather really well.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Chris, that looks like a nice project and a nice little pile of wood. This is the pile acclimating in my back yard:

IMG_3981.JPG

I bought it from Advantage Lumber - all 2 tons of it. Excellent quality - and very, very heavy. If you are gluing any of it together, what glue do you plan to use? Advantage Lumber recommends Gorilla Glue or Epoxy but I'd rather use TB III if possible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Oh yeah looks good to me,Is it Ipe? I just sneezed Ipe make me sneeze.
    Oh I forgot how much IPE and me don't get along, I dont sneeze, I feel more like someone put Tabasco on my face..This is definitely my last IPE project..

Do you have a vibrator? (Let the jokes begin)

It would be good for those edges at the dado. HF has one for about $75 that might be worth a shot, no personal experience though.