Thread: Hammer B3 Comfort 49" realistic space

Hammer B3 Comfort 49" realistic space

Hey all,
    My shop is just over 8' wide. I'm considering the Hammer B3 slider/shaper and wanted to know if you think I have enough room.
    The required width per the manufacturer is 6' 8" which would leave me 16".

Do you think it will be usable?

Cheers,
    Adam

Can't speak to this particular machine but do have many, many owners with sliding table saws in smaller shops and my answer would be, "Depends..."

"Depends" on whether or not you plan to be cutting a lot of sheet goods and if so, then also "depends" on whether or not you own a track saw or have some other means of knocking panels down a little before bringing them into the shop.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Probably close to an 8' wide space.

I have a K3 Winner, and don't see how it takes more space than a standard table saw, except you have to put the crosscut fence on to use it for crosscutting. So you would want to remove it when you are not crosscutting. It has a easy set type crosscut fence, amazingly accurate. You can check it with a framing square, but I find after squaring up a board it is just about dead nuts measured diagonally. The shaper would be an awesome add on. They have a tilting arbor, so you can angle your shaper cutters. I would want a power feeder for the shaper.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like a euro slider is part of my future

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levitt View Post
    Hey all,
    My shop is just over 8' wide. I'm considering the Hammer B3 slider/shaper and wanted to know if you think I have enough room.
    The required width per the manufacturer is 6' 8" which would leave me 16".

Do you think it will be usable?

Cheers,
    Adam
    Absolutely, that's the machine I have in my small townhouse basement shop.

Normally I don't have the outrigger on it, I put it on only for larger work pieces..............Regards, Rod.

Without the outrigger in place, a slider does not take up much more space than a cabinet saw. That was the case for me when I went from a 1964 Rockwell Unisaw to the Laguna Pro 6' sliding saw. The wagon takes up much needed real estate in the middle of the shop, so it hangs on the wall 95% of the time.