Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G0766 Arrived and Set Up-- No issues

1. Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Nice to hear Matt, I'm that 1 you mention above, my replacement lathe is suppose to ship next week and hope to have that same experience as you this time. Please do contact Grizzly about the tool rest, the more that do, the more likely we'll get a resolution. My Nova Titan did not seat properly on the spindle face, good to know some brands do. Something we were aware of might be the case but, hoped it had been addressed. I'm not aware of any other decent lathe brand where it's a reported problem.

Enjoy that new machine!
    James.........the only chucks that I had a problem with were also Nova chucks from Teknatool. I have 5 of them, and of course they were purchased at different times. That tells me that the machining specs were not consistent.......I measured my inserts from Teknatool with a digital caliper and got different measurements on 4 out of the 5.

It is my belief that when Nova Chucks were outsourced to China for manufacture that they were a bit sloppy in their setups, as my 4 different inside diameters show...........on one of the inserts, I actually had to take some off the inside shoulder as well as the taking down of the boss on my former G0698.

I have mentioned a couple of times that I think the lathe manufactures and the chuck manufactures need to get their specs in sync. I do not think it is always the problem with the lathe........I firmly believe the chuck manufacturers are needing to be consistent in their machining as well!

I also think that perhaps in order to sell more of their products, that specs on some of these items are proprietary and ordered that way from the manufacturer, in hopes that sales of certain brands will be increased instead of what we turners like, which is a universal fit.... where we can purchase whatever brand we want!

If an odd size is produced, then an odd sized insert must be purchased as well in order to fit........simple as that! I don't think they counted on turners modifying anything.........probably most would not go to that extreme, and just complain to company X, and then tech would tell them.........oh, you just need to buy one of our chucks.....they are designed to fit that lathe!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-20-2015 at 5:36 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, It sure makes sense for lathe and accessory manufactures to communicate on specs. However, at the very least, a manufacturer of a new lathe should check specs of existing popular accessories for compatibility , i.e. chucks. It's not a new issue so why keep producing it? Again, I'll state and ask if this compatibility issue exists on other currently manufactured modern lathes : Powermatic, Jet, Oneway, ...? I've not heard of the problem with other lathes, and I've recently asked some members of my turning club who have many of these combinations and more experience than I, none reported.

I think you hit on a key point, Turners like options, how many gouges do you own vs. need? Limiting accessory options is a poor idea, unless it's a safety issue of course. I probably wouldn't have bought the G0766 if modifying the boss wasn't a simple solution.

So, who really needs to check their specs and compatibility if it's just one elephant sitting in the room with a big green G on their chest?
    Last edited by James Conrad; 06-21-2015 at 6:18 PM. Reason: Added stuff, sp.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

The same boss issue existed with my G0733 as well, and my Oneway Strongholds and Talons would bind before seating fully against the spindle face. The 15-minute fix with a fine mill file took care of that, but James raises an interesting question: Who should be machining to whose tolerances. In my case, it was the Grizzly spindle boss on the $1700 lathe vs. the rebate that Oneway mills into the $32 inserts that it makes to adapt its chucks to non-Oneway lathes. (Oneway uses a 33mm spindle thread for its own full-size lathes, rather than 1-1/4" x 8). One could reason that the tail shouldn't wag the dog here, but since the tail happens to be Oneway, I agree that Grizzly would be quite wise to tell its factory to just take another few thousandths off the spindle boss and avoid the issue altogether!

For what it is worth, my serial number is 10040. Hopefully I'll get some free time this week to actually run the machine through it's paces.

5. Hello Everyone,
    I set up my G0766 this weekend, the legs were loose, but no problems. My question is, what is a normal amount of noise. The motor, or drive, is making a high pitch noise. It's not real loud, the motor fan drowns it out at higher speeds. The sound is the same with the belt removed. Does this sound like a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Norell MN View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I set up my G0766 this weekend, the legs were loose, but no problems. My question is, what is a normal amount of noise. The motor, or drive, is making a high pitch noise. It's not real loud, the motor fan drowns it out at higher speeds. The sound is the same with the belt removed. Does this sound like a problem?
    See my thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...eo-Motor-Noise

If it sounds like mine, get ready to ship it back.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

As I reported over on the other group, received mine Friday the 12th. Serial number 10002. Packaging was a little loose and some minor paint scraping but Grizzly offered to send some touch up paint, so no harm. My tool rest is like the others, a bit too high. I'll mention it to the tech team but ask the guys in the shop if they can turn it in the meantime. My Supernova chuck did need a 1 1/4" insert but then again that's to be expected. When I first turned it on there was a racket that I thought was the motor or maybe a loose pulley. After about a half hour of inspection, dummy me found I forgot to remove the knockout tool. It was rattling around. Removed it and now it sounds almost too quiet.

Hard to say because what is loud to one is not to another. The only discernible noise I have is the fan or blower. It does make a noise as I turn it up but it is completely smooth, normal sounding. Compared to my Jet 14-42 it's darn quiet.

9. The high pitch sound is very similar, I don't have any grinding noise though. I'm curious what other guys are hearing, should there just be hearing the fan, and a wirring sound?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Norell MN View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I think what you are hearing is the normal inverter sound......there is a fan in the inverter from what I understand with a heatsink like a computer...........with a 3 phase motor/inverter combination you will hear some sound. My 0766 has gotten quieter as I have used it........my former G0698 did the same thing, but you do always hear some sound......especially fan on the motor.......the faster your rpms the more sound coming from that fan that cools the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Norell MN View Post
    The high pitch sound is very similar, I don't have any grinding noise though. I'm curious what other guys are hearing, should there just be hearing the fan, and a wirring sound?
    Jim, contact tech support about the noise. If you have a means of documenting the sound, please post it.

Here is a link to a video, I hope it works, 1st time I've done this.

https://youtu.be/5rcUi9HOHdg

Yup, sounds like the feedback whine that was in my motor. Yours changes pitch around 450, mine was around 200rpm, and was quite loud. Contact tech support, they don't have motors, but since that is the only issue you have they may strip one off another lathe and send it to you. But talk to them and see what they say.

14. I recently got mine and a few minor things, the bolt for the banjo was the wrong size, I was missing a few small parts, and by the time I got it all set up there was a million paint chips. The legs don't really align well but fit, In regards to the toolrest /banjo, if you have the small version they will give you the new replacement however, they only give u the cast iron and rod, the rest of the parts you are expected to disassemble your oldie. The new banjo is longer to acomadate the full swing capacity and the neck is about 1/2" shorter which is nice. I was really excited to get my G0766 and there has only been one problem after the next and I'm starting to get disappointed with it. The G0766 has the potential to be a great lathe and is to those who received a well running lathe.

After running mine for five minutes I noticed a terrible noise and it's caused by a few different things, one is the ting behind the pulley and it can also be caused by loose set screw on one of the pulleys, at first I thought it was a betting, be aware that there are magnets on the back of the pulley that are used for the digital readout (south goes in the hole). If inserted wrong or the distance of pulley has moved the digital read out might not work or give incorrect readings. After doing a little test to see if the noise was gone I knocked out the spur and the spindle rod moved oh boy !
    Last edited by Tommy Brennan; 12-22-2015 at 8:34 AM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Brennan View Post
    I recently got mine and a few minor things, the bolt for the banjo was the wrong size, I was missing a few small parts, and by the time I got it all set up there was a million paint chips. The legs don't really align well but fit, In regards to the toolrest /banjo, if you have the small version they will give you the new replacement however, they only give u the cast iron and rod, the rest of the parts you are expected to disassemble your oldie. The new banjo is longer to acomadate the full swing capacity and the neck is about 1/2" shorter which is nice. I was really excited to get my G0766 and there has only been one problem after the next and I'm starting to get disappointed with it. The G0766 has the potential to be a great lathe and is to those who received a well running lathe.

After running mine for five minutes I noticed a terrible noise and it's caused by a few different things, one is the ting behind the pulley and it can also be caused by loose set screw on one of the pulleys, at first I thought it was a betting, be aware that there are magnets on the back of the pulley that are used for the digital readout (south goes in the hole). If inserted wrong or the distance of pulley has moved the digital read out might not work or give incorrect readings. After doing a little test to see if the noise was gone I knocked out the spur and the spindle rod moved oh boy !
    I have some questions - is this your first lathe? I do know that Grizzly tech support will work to get everything right for you. You stated the bolt for the banjo was the wrong size.....do you mean wrong thread pitch or what?
    The set screws on the pulleys were one of the first things I tightened down as a matter of going over the lathe when I unpacked it. Shipping vibration coming across the oceans on a ship can and does happen with frequency. My unit had the rpm sensor dangling from its wire as the nut had vibrated off the threaded post that holds it on. These types of things are what every person should go over before ever powering the lathe up.

The G0766 is a fine unit.....if you have minor issues, they will make them right and walk you through the adjustments. If you have a major issue of some sort, then Grizzly will take the unit back and send you another one.

Good luck with this.......follow through with tech support at Grizzly, and there is a support group here on SMC that you can join. It is the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] and you can ask questions of other owners, of which there are many. We currently have 152 members, and you are most welcome. There are folks there who can assist you and likely alleviate most concerns you may have.

Go to the top of the page, look under the community tab, click on that, then groups, and you will see it!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-22-2015 at 10:41 AM.