Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Deep? Engraving Metal with a Laser

I was just using a 50 watt fiber today for deep engraving, its pretty tasty, In simple terms most pulsed fiber lasers (the ones you guys will be looking at for engraving anyway) are around 1mJoule, doesnt matter if its a 20,30, or 50 watt. What this means is the maximum pulse on all the lasers is the same, the way power comes into effect is as follows
    20w laser gives 1mJ @ 20khz
    30w laser gives 1mJ @ 30khz
    50w laser gives 1mJ @ 50khz

So what does this mean, well running a 20 watt at 2.5 times slower will give exactly the same results as a 50 watt, on our 20 watts we normally use a speed of 200mm/second for deep engraving, we can now run at 500mm/second and get the same result.
    (this all assumes the M2 values of the lasers are the same, and they tend to get worse as the power goes up)
    I would like to get a higher mJoule laser as for deep engraving this makes a big difference but cost is an issue.

Just as important is getting the correct focus lens, the shorter the lens the higher the power density, but also you get a smaller working area so its a trade off, i would recommend a 163mm lens as its a good all-rounder and will do a 120x120mm square.
    Prices are coming down all the time and galvo machines are great value when compared to only a few years ago, but beware spending lots of money wont necessarily get you a better machine (just a more expensive one)
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

I was just using a 50 watt fiber today for deep engraving, its pretty tasty, In simple terms most pulsed fiber lasers (the ones you guys will be looking at for engraving anyway) are around 1mJoule, doesnt matter if its a 20,30, or 50 watt. What this means is the maximum pulse on all the lasers is the same, the way power comes into effect is as follows
    20w laser gives 1mJ @ 20khz
    30w laser gives 1mJ @ 30khz
    50w laser gives 1mJ @ 50khz

So what does this mean, well running a 20 watt at 2.5 times slower will give exactly the same results as a 50 watt, on our 20 watts we normally use a speed of 200mm/second for deep engraving, we can now run at 500mm/second and get the same result.
    (this all assumes the M2 values of the lasers are the same, and they tend to get worse as the power goes up)
    I would like to get a higher mJoule laser as for deep engraving this makes a big difference but cost is an issue.

Just as important is getting the correct focus lens, the shorter the lens the higher the power density, but also you get a smaller working area so its a trade off, i would recommend a 163mm lens as its a good all-rounder and will do a 120x120mm square.
    Prices are coming down all the time and galvo machines are great value when compared to only a few years ago, but beware spending lots of money wont necessarily get you a better machine (just a more expensive one)
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    when building explosive lenses for thermonuclear weapon implosion systems.
    Aha! I knew it! That's exactly what I suspected you do as (one) part of your top secret government side work Dave!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

So the hammers have the same power they just hit at a faster rate?