Thread: Window A/C used as Thru-the-wall

Window A/C used as Thru-the-wall

I'm looking to cool/heat my shop and it seems like the Frigidaire FFRH1822Q2 at Wally World for $612 is a pretty decent price for a 18,500-BTU 230V Median Slide-Out Chassis Air Conditioner with 16,000 BTU Supplemental Heat Capability unit. My window isn't big enough for this to fit so I'm thinking of using it as a thru-the-wall unit. Is this a problem?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Seems reasonable to me.

They have other portable units where it is like a six inch duct, would be better than cutting a hole in the wall.

It's a matter of dispersing the heat effectively. If you look at through-the-wall units they have all the business on the back face as that is the only side with reliable ventilation. A window unit has vents on the side and relies on that additional disbursing of heat. Putting a window unit through the wall may choke that ventilating capacity and cause early failure. We did make it work with a small unit in a large sleeve for a short time but I don't recommend it.

Doug,
    That makes perfect sense.

I checked the installation instructions for the Frigidaire FFRH1822Q2 and it's a window unit but "This air conditioner slides out from its cabinet, so that it can be installed through an outside wall as explainedbelow." This unit is a fair bit cheaper than the comparable Fridigaire thru the wall unit. Not sure why if they can both be used thru the wall.
    Dave

Thats how Ihave run 3 separate units in my shop. Nothing special about it.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

What about keeping the intake and cool air separate? Once it's mounted even a little bit behind the wall, wouldn't the hot & cool air start to combine, drastically lowering efficiency?

I guess in David's case it might not be so bad, since his unit would only be 4-6" back, but I'd dtill thnk about adding some kind of separator, if possible.

I'd also worry about the sensor, unless it's easy to remove the control box and bring it into the room. - Or get a unit with a remote control that has a thermal sensor built in.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 06-17-2015 at 2:50 PM.

..Seems like a good way to not block incoming light.

First cost difference. The thru the wall units are most likely heats pumps, instead of an AC with heat strips. My shop is cooled with a window unit mounted thru a sleeve. No problems other than unit is old,and needs to be up dated.