Thread: Fix Squeaky Creaky Stairs!

Fix Squeaky Creaky Stairs!

I got a possible three story stair project in a 100 year old house where I'm to modify several newel posts and raise the railings with new balusters. But before I can proceed, homeowner wants the squeaks and creaks eliminated. My advice to the homeowner the best remedy is to access the risers and treads from underneath. At the moment, the undersides are inaccessible with drywall and T&G wainscot boards in the way. Can I remediate this problem from topside? In many places, the risers are separated (bowed) from the back of the treads. I shot down some screws to pin the treads tighter to the risers underneath but the results are better if not perfect. Homeowner wants perfect as possible without sparing too much expense (You heard that before????). Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thank You.

A 100 year old house with non-squeaky stairs? Is that possible?
    Were the risers set with wedge shims?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    A 100 year old house with non-squeaky stairs? Is that possible?
    Were the risers set with wedge shims?
    Can't see how these stairs were assembled. But, yes, it is possible to have 100 year old house with non-squeaky stairs..... from underneath..

I was told talc baby powder helps elimnate sqeaks The talc is lightly sprinked between the boards or placing hard board over the orginal flooring

I always use oil to get rid of squeaks Told you I'm not a wood worker LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I was told talc baby powder helps elimnate sqeaks The talc is lightly sprinked between the boards or placing hard board over the orginal flooring
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Well, they do have a new member in the family............

One of my thoughts was to pull off the cove moldings underneath the treads. Try to pry up the treads a bit so I have a gap and squirt some PL adhesive in there (the gap) and then shoot the treads back down with screws. That's another "no guarantee, but we can try it" method.

I quieted one of the treads on the stairway of our 90 year old house from above using the product Squeek No more.. Used a stud finder to determine where the stringers were locate, then installed three of the Squeek No Mores in the tread. So far the fix has yielded silence..