Thread: Thoughts on Dust Collection Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts on Dust Collection Please

I am currently working on building my shop and have bought a used Grizzly 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector with a 8" main connector. The main run will be over 40' and figure something like 55' or so total to the machines. It had come with some 6" Northfab piping what I am wondering is should I use 8" as main pipe instead? Either way I will be stuck buying a bunch of piping no matter what. My thought is it would be better to use 8" as the main pipe with 6" pipe used pointing down that I split into 2 4" flex to the machine. Is this the best way to approach it or is there a better way? Thanks.

-Rob

If it has an 8" fitting at the collector, why would you want to hobble the whole system by starting out with 6" pipe?

I would use 8" mains, with 6" drops. You could also drop to 6" towards the end of the 40', just keep the large cfm machines closer to the collector.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Ditto what Rick said, especially if you have to buy pipe any way. I would not use ANY 4" unless you have NO choice, especially if you have an 8" main line.

I agree with maintaining max size as long as possible. 4" to machines represents no issue as far as I am concerned. Are there opinions that 4" is not acceptable? Of course there are. These opinions may be a result of a purist approach. If 4" was not acceptable in any way shape or form, I do not believe that the many professionals in the field, such as the Wood Whisperer, would use it. I use it. 6" main until the tool, then reduction to 4" for all tools except my 20" planer, which is hooked up with 5".

I'm certainly no expert but from all the reading/research prior to beginning my install I would say the biggest issue with reducing to much less than the main (more than one size smaller) is that when the dirty flow gets back to the main it may lose so much velocity that it can no longer carry the debris away and it could settle in the duct. The way to avoid this is to allow more air to enter the flow near the reduction. Maybe by having more than one 4" open on more than one tool, maybe by just letting air enter an unused branch. In the case of an 8" main this would require four 4" openings at once to match (in this case exactly) the area of 8".

When planning my install I made a simple calculator to help figure out how many of each size was needed to approximate a 6" main. An 8" main opens up many more combinations of sizes than with 6".

I was going to attach the file but can't seem to figure out how to upload an XLS file (if it's even possible) so if you're interested, just PM me and I'll get it to you.
    Last edited by John Donofrio; 06-10-2015 at 9:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Donofrio View Post
    I'm certainly no expert but from all the reading/research prior to beginning my install I would say the biggest issue with reducing to much less than the main (more than one size smaller) is that when the dirty flow gets back to the main it may lose so much velocity that it can no longer carry the debris away and it could settle in the duct. The way to avoid this is to allow more air to enter the flow near the reduction. Maybe by having more than one 4" open on more than one tool, maybe by just letting air enter an unused branch. In the case of an 8" main this would require four 4" openings at once to match (in this case exactly) the area of 8".

When planning my install I made a simple calculator to help figure out how many of each size was needed to approximate a 6" main. An 8" main opens up many more combinations of sizes than with 6".

I was going to attach the file but can't seem to figure out how to upload an XLS file (if it's even possible) so if you're interested, just PM me and I'll get it to you.
    I wouldn't leave four 4" openings just to match areas. To do so would reduce the available suction at the tool being used to the point much of its effectiveness would be lost. Better to just use the one opening, even if it is just 4", and occasionally open up a few gates to clean the duct while not otherwise in use. If you are running a planer generating a ton of tangled shavings off a 4", then you might want to keep one more 4" open upstream. You might be surprised how much air you can suck through a 4" hose with a 3 hp DC.
    NOW you tell me...

I don't know if it is the answer for your situation, but I have the same Grizzly model. I reduced to 6" immediately and ran 6" pipe to every machine (if possible). If I have a machine with an unalterable 4" opening, I always make sure and open another 4" or 5" somewhere down the line. I get good dust collection and no clogs.

6" will work, 8" will work better. Rick Potter is right.

when the dirty flow gets back to the main it may lose so much velocity that it can no longer carry the debris away and it could settle in the duct.
    I'm no expert either, so for my own learning is there really any problem with debris settling in the duct (assuming it doesn't reach the point of clogging the duct)? While it may be aesthetically unappealing to have sediment in your DC system, one could make the argument the a layer of debris could actually improve airspeed, by reducing the cross sectional area of the duct!

If debris were to settle in your main duct, all you would have to do is open another gate to let in more air.

One place that I worked had 12" main piping and a 5 hp collector for a roughly 4 car sized shop with 3 men working. We frequently had to run the collector with at least 4 of the the far end gates wide open to clear the pipes. It was a big pain because it was necessary to do this for about 1/2 hour every day. In my opinion, it would be best to carefully size the pipes by the amount of flow that was needed. For a one man shop where only one or two machines are ever run at the same time, I think that a maximum of a 6" trunk is all that is needed with 4 or 6" drops to the machines, and if the shop is less than a 2 car garage, a 3 hp collector is way overkill. A 2 hp would be a much better choice. Bill Pentz website has all the calculations that is needed. http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking...ccalc_faqs.cfm.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Robb White View Post
    I am currently working on building my shop and have bought a used Grizzly 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector with a 8" main connector. The main run will be over 40' and figure something like 55' or so total to the machines. It had come with some 6" Northfab piping what I am wondering is should I use 8" as main pipe instead? Either way I will be stuck buying a bunch of piping no matter what. My thought is it would be better to use 8" as the main pipe with 6" pipe used pointing down that I split into 2 4" flex to the machine. Is this the best way to approach it or is there a better way? Thanks.

-Rob
    Hi Rob, you need to actually go through the calculations on the airflow required at each machine, which wll allow you to determine pipe size and airflow and static pressure.

After that you can determine what size pipe you need and whether your cyclone is capable of that performance.

You'll need a flow versus static pressure chart from Grizzly for your cyclone. You don't want to start guessing and then have to rip out your piping or scrap your cyclone........Rod.

Regards, Rod.

You can also use the hybrid approach which is to do 8" out from the system to the first main branch and then drop to 6" and use the existing duct work. Graduated duct designs were and are common for systems that service multiple tools simultaneously anyway. If you plan for your biggest collection sources to be at the "higher performance end" of the system, that's golden. My setup is like that, although my initial main duct is 7" to match my system's inlet. The J/P has the biggest drop in the whole system just after moving to 6" and doesn't change to 5"/120mm until right at the tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wonder about the 55 ft. length . Is it one very long main trunk line ? I know large shops with less ducting than 55 ft. Is the design final ? Can it be tweaked at all ? The G0441 is enough I would guess , 8" mains , 6"branches and drops . Just wondering .