Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Elm bowl 13" X 2 3/4"

White Elm bowl 13" X 2 3/4"

American or White Elm trees of larger size are not very common anymore, and I was happy to be able to get some chunks of a fairly large log to take home one day, this was 9 years ago.

I have turned quite a few pieces from it and finished a bunch over the years, this one has sat since I got the log and rough turned the pieces, it is finished with Polymerized Tung oil, should be a nice fruit bowl or what ever else it could be used for

Any and all comments are welcome .

American Elm.jpg American Elm 1.jpg American Elm 2.jpg American Elm 3.jpg
    Have fun and take care

As usual Leo, very nice!!
    And yes, it is the perfect size for a fruit bowl.

3. Pretty Leo.........I like your undercut rim and the way you finished off the bottom.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very graceful lines, and I like the undercut rim too. Lovely bowl Leo.

Doug

Could you tell us how you turned the bottom? What technique do you use to hold it when it is turned around?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I like it Leo. Fairly plain grain but on that bowl it looks very nice. You must have a pretty good stash of wood if you can wait 9 years before turning it.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

That is gorgeous. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    As usual Leo, very nice!!
    And yes, it is the perfect size for a fruit bowl.
    Thank you Daryl , it is quite plain wood and so the shape does have to make it, it is also that what stays when fancy grain has become faded and dull 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Pretty Leo.........I like your undercut rim and the way you finished off the bottom.
    Thanks Roger , like I told Daryl it is the shape that wins out in the long run, and here even at the start, for the grain hasn’t got a lot going for it.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Very graceful lines, and I like the undercut rim too. Lovely bowl Leo.

Doug
    Thank you Doug , hope it will find a happy new owner soon
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    That is gorgeous. I like it.
    Thanks for your very kind comment Jeramie
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    I like it Leo. Fairly plain grain but on that bowl it looks very nice. You must have a pretty good stash of wood if you can wait 9 years before turning it.
    Thanks Rick , from whereabouts are you in Ontario Rick ?, I lived in London for 40 years, and yes I do have a good number of extra roughouts accumulated besides the ones that got sold that I turned during that time.

Brought them all to Atikokan where I live now, here’s a picture of most of them to be stored away so I could use my new shop.

first load of bowls.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Could you tell us how you turned the bottom? What technique do you use to hold it when it is turned around?
    Sorry Brian, took longer to answer your question than was mend to be, it was just too late, as it is again , but I wanted to assemble a few pictures that show how I usually do it and how I sometimes do it when another manner is called for.

First four pictures show my most often used manner of holding, and as you can see I do sometimes use wedges to tweak the bowls center a little, masking tape will keep the small wedges, larger ones get a screw to hold it, the Oneway Jumbo Jaws have served me well and for quite a few years already, the rubber buttons have a steel inner that gives a solid hold.

Depending the shape of the piece I will hold it on the inside or outside, sometimes either way can be used as in the second and third picture.

Holding with wedges.jpg Holding inside.jpg or Holding ouside.jpg solid hold in Oneway mega jumbo jaws.jpg

The next pictures show that I sometimes need extra assurance and though that has happened only a time or two, a rather badly warped piece could still be held so that I could still center the recess and true that up.

The other one is an optional way to hold a bowl, and I have held very large bowls in this manner, or like in the last picture the piece, I actually glued the bowl to a plywood disk that I later removed.

Like they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat

Some jury rigging.jpg Another option to hold it.jpg glued to a backing disk.jpg
    Have fun and take care

14. Hi Leo. What a way to answer .... it´s a tutorial for many of us learning the trade. Thanks for your kindness and time to post in detail.

That's a boat load of bowls. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Thanks Rick , from whereabouts are you in Ontario Rick ?, I lived in London for 40 years, and yes I do have a good number of extra roughouts accumulated besides the ones that got sold that I turned during that time.

Brought them all to Atikokan where I live now, here’s a picture of most of them to be stored away so I could use my new shop.

first load of bowls.jpg