Thread: Corel Draw “Illegal Copy” warning???

Corel Draw “Illegal Copy” warning???

HI All,
    Has anyone else suddenly started getting this CD “warning” concerning having an “illegal” copy? I have a Legit Copy that I have used for years, suddenly getting this at start up, somewhat annoying on a busy day, to put it mildly:Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 13.05.54.jpg

Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Blog Entries
    How do you know it was a "legit" copy? Did you order it directly through Corel or did you buy it from eBay (or similar)? During the upgrade process, Corel will kill off licenses that have been used/reused multiple times, and this looks like one of those occasions (most times it's due to your license number being copied and resold many, many times). Is your CD pressed (silver underbelly) or is a writeable (some off-color underbelly... green, blue, etc.)?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

HI Dan,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is definitely the full-on, real McCoy (sp?) genuine original, super-duper, in the box/book/sealed, original bought from Amazon (Amazon themselves not a third party seller).
    Kind regards, john
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

So, did you contact Corel about the problem?
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

HI Mike,

Yes I have, they asked for images of serial number and invoice which I sent off to them............drumming fingers on desk..........

However I have just deleted all temp files and restarted the computer and hey-ho it is working again! I had previously re-started CD several times with the same warning.
    I’ll see how it goes and let you know.

Thanks to both of you for your replies,
    John

Your welcome.. Keep all of us updated as this is an interesting issue...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Righty, Corel replied as follows:

Thank you for sending all the files!
    Please follow these procedure:
    1. Make sure that you are administrator and have disabled the User Account
    Control
    2. Remove CorelDRAW from the Control panel - Programs and Features
    3. Press Windows key + R and type regedit. Hit Enter.
    4. Navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corel\CorelDRAW/16
    and make sure that this folder is deleted.
    5. Press Windows key + R and type %appdata%. Hit Enter.
    6. Open the Corel folder and delete both the CorelDRAW and the Messages
    folders.
    7. Navigate to C:\ProgramData and open the Corel folder and
    delete both the CorelDRAW and the Messages folders.
    Program Data is a hidden folder. If you can't see it, Control Panel -
    Folder options -> View tab and enable "show hidden files and folders".
    8. Restart the system and install CorelDRAW as administrator.

I did all that, but when it came to re-installing, all I got was: “Setup.xml could not be loaded. This may indicate that the file is corrupt.” No matter what I did, re-installing .net frameworks, ensuring all updates were done etc, I could not get around this. I then copied the entire CorelDraw installation CD into a file on my desktop and opened it from there (running it as administrator of course) and it worked. Relief at last .......... until.. :
    When it came to the bit where it asks you to sign in, it would not let me past a window “offering” me the "Premium Membership", which I have never taken out in the past. I contacted Corel about this and was told that it was a known problem and that I needed to uninstall and re-install (steam beginning to escape from my ears at this point). I tried all sorts to get around it but no, nothing would work. I took a hard look at it and decided that even if it was an annual payment they were after, it was a relatively inexpensive upgrade to X7. So here I now sit reluctantly using X7 instead of X6, not happily, with a lighter pocket, somewhat annoyed at the absolute waste of time and money, but glad to have this means of production running again.
    I generally like Corel draw, it is easy and intuitive to use. I do not, however, like the company that owns it. The only reason I do not use Adobe Illustrator is because of their cloud based system and that it is significantly more expensive, but I sure was tempted to switch to AI today, it came very close.

Kind regards, John

I used CorelDraw years ago starting with 1.x. Nothing real work-related, just a fun too to have.

I really enjoyed the application, more-so than any other vector graphics software.

And I've thought of buying an older copy to play around with again.

But this disabling aspect is unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post

Control
    4. Navigate to
    folders.

I did all that, but when it came to re-installing, all I got was: “Setup.xml could not be loaded. This may indicate that the file is corrupt.” No matter what I did, re-installing .net frameworks, ensuring all updates were done etc, I could not get around this. I then copied the entire CorelDraw installation CD into a file on my desktop and opened it from there (running it as administrator of course) and it worked. Relief at last .......... until.. :
    When it came to the bit where it asks you to sign in, it would not let me past a window “offering” me the "Premium Membership", which I have never taken out in the past. I contacted Corel about this and was told that it was a known problem and that I needed to uninstall and re-install (steam beginning to escape from my ears at this point). I tried all sorts to get around it but no, nothing would work. I took a hard look at it and decided that even if it was an annual payment they were after, it was a relatively inexpensive upgrade to X7. So here I now sit reluctantly using X7 instead of X6, not happily, with a lighter pocket, somewhat annoyed at the absolute waste of time and money, but glad to have this means of production running again.
    I generally like Corel draw, it is easy and intuitive to use. I do not, however, like the company that owns it. The only reason I do not use Adobe Illustrator is because of their cloud based system and that it is significantly more expensive, but I sure was tempted to switch to AI today, it came very close.

Kind regards, John

(CorelDraw Staff) "Come check this out Bob..... I got another one to sign up for X7. At this rate I'll be able to take my wife on that vacation she wanted."
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Another little thing that makes me scratch my head is that Corel Direct sell the upgrade for £215 (Very special one time offer - of course) but Amazon (genuine original copy by Amazon themselves) sell the same product for £150. When I questioned corel on this today, they gave me a 15% discount (£185), still that bit more than they sell it on Amazon.

I do not think my original problem was caused by Corel, I suspect some sort of Temp file issue on my computer.

Kind regards, John

Another little thing that makes me scratch my head is that Corel Direct sell the upgrade for £215 (Very special one time offer - of course) but Amazon (genuine original copy by Amazon themselves) sell the same product for £150. When I questioned corel on this today, they gave me a 15% discount (£185), still that bit more than they sell it on Amazon.

I do not think my original problem was caused by Corel, I suspect some sort of Temp file issue on my computer.

Kind regards, John
    Nothing new. Quickbooks does the same thing. If you're lazy, they make you pay. The issue with software is it's all backwards and mostly forward compatible as well at this point. If you buy a copy of X5, do you really need to upgrade? So you may use X5 for 10+ years. 15-20 years ago, you'd be forced to buy software every year or two because of OS issues or print driver issues. Now the software is so stable the customer really doesn't need to upgrade but the company still needs to pay its staff and support their product.

I think it's an unethical approach to de-activate software, but I think it's reasonable to stop supporting 5+ year old software.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

folders
    Wow. Not one warning to backup your data. There goes all your custom pages, macros, workspaces, palettes, and any other defaults you have set up.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I just had another reply from Corel Support:

Mr. Bion,
    I appologize for the inconvenience! At the moment it seems we are having issues with the link to the update.​ (i.e.: The update forcing you to sign up for Premium Membership)
    Control
    4. Navigate to
    folders.
    8. Restart the system and install CorelDRAW as administrator from this link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6x...ew?usp=sharing

Three days without the ability to use CorelDraw would have driven me up the wall by now (let alone all the time wasted in the un/re-installing/communicating stage) but at least they are acknowledging the fault and trying to help. It was easier to sign up for Premium and keep working than remain in ‘down time’.

John
    Last edited by John Bion; 06-10-2015 at 3:25 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary spacing

This one reason why my laser system is not connected to the internet. Once it is working it can't be updated and broken.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

That just doesn't sound right to me. CorelDraw is giving you a link to their product download via a link to a Google Drive? I can't say that I've ever seen that before. It would make me very suspicious.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.