Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entering into the world of CNC

For that money you could find a nice used Techno LC4896. 4x8, servos, welded frame and ballscrews just about everything you could ask for. You can still get replacement parts through Armor CNC.

I have used and built many but I OWN a LC4896.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    For $12k you have a few choices.

1. New 4x4 welded steel CNC machine (CAMaster is an example)
    2. New 4x8 "light industrial" CNC machine kit. This will also cover software, bits, ect. (CNCRouterParts is an example)
    3. Used 4x8 CNC machine. What you get depends on the deal you can find. You should easily be able to find a used ShopBot with a lot of extras (software, bits, ect). If you're lucky, you can find something the next level up.

The important thing about CNC routers is to budget for everything. You need a dust collection system. That's a few hundred. You need software. That can be several thousand. You need bits. That's easily a few hundred bucks. Computer, spoil board, clamps, ect ect ect. It all adds up. It's very easy to say "hey, I can get this machine for $7000" but that might only be 60-70% of your budget.
    This. Absolutely. Ross is dead on.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

All good info.. I have owned all models of the CAMasters over the years and as a commercial end user I go with the Money makers.. I will say that the one point that matters and not mentioned here is of all the machines mentioned here mine and most all CAMasters including my original 99 model 408 brought 75+ % of original value at resell..

Go see plants, go see shops, do lots of due diligence is a 60% risk factor better than a 95 and how much is that worth

If you do want to sell it you will get most of your money back with a Shopbot also. I sold my first one for the same as I paid for it so that is 100% of my money back. The one I have now I could get 95% of what I paid for it.

There is No Issue that the fluke of Market has led to some good deals, I once bought a used machine and doubled my money, However some come here looking for us who have travelled the CNC road to not blow smoke and mess with their expectations. this can lead to disastrous purchases and ruin what could have been otherwise a really good CNC venture. My hope is any post I make is realistic and based on common experiences.. Used car dealers make profits on old cars daily. Not so good for the small buyer.

I visited the Camaster offices this past week and was very impressed by my visit. I spent about an hour and a half asking questions and learning about the company and how the components are sourced and how the machines are made and supported. I was also able to get a list of some people in my area who have Stinger IIs who I will be able to visit their shops and use as references.

Unfortunately a Stinger II with the options I would like ends up costing over 17k with a 9+ week lead time that is only getting longer. I really like the machine and the company but will have to take some more time to consider if I can invest that amount right now.

Thank you you all for your responses so far and I will keep you updated with my decision.

Check out the Camheads classifieds. There's a 1 year old upgraded Stinger II 48x48 with hurricane vacuum system for $11,500.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

They are Damn Good machines, Hence the pricing and lead times. I have reason to believe the machine in Ft Lauderdale has been sold.
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 06-14-2015 at 1:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    I am in the same spot you are in Tomi, but i will be ordering mine this week hopefully. I am getting a Shopsabre RC4. American made, Minnesota. Worth checking out in my opinion. I was close to getting a Camaster until i checked into Shopsabre. I have seen both run. Liked both. They seem very similar in many ways, construction, quality, and price. I have spoke to owners of both. everyone seems happy with which ever one they own.
    What tilted me to Shopsabre was, what comes standard with shopsabre, is an add on with Camaster.
    RC4 machine has cut area of 49x55 compared to 48x48, 8" Z height compared to 6, larger motors, larger router,
    alot of the upgrades i will want later on i am able to do here in my shop. Im starting with basic setup, will want a spindle down the road, possibly an ATC, both i can upgrade here.
    Camaster has a GREAT forum, which is worth something.
    Its worth checking out. from my research you would be happy with either company. i just think you get more for your dollar with the shopsabre.
    my 2 cents

The Shopsabre's are built 20 minutes from my house and 35 minutes from my shop. I've recently decided that a CNC is in my future, and they are high on the list just because of their proximity. It goes down, I know I can get a someone over in a hurry One of these months I'll have a free afternoon to take a field trip and listen to their pitch on why I should buy their product over a Beisse, Buselletto or whatever.