Thread: Performax 10-20

Performax 10-20

I bought this sander and tried it out to find I didn't really like fooling around with the sanding belt.... after a bit of a learning curve and a few post from others I finally was able to keep the paper fairly tight so it didn't burn and then had no use for it since so it's sat.

I have about 20 raised panels doors to build and this sander has proved to be quite handy, but now its the drive belt. How do you determine when it is proper tensioned? I know the manual says if you can move it by hand it to loose.

The real problem is the tracking. It was riding a bit farther to the right so it wasn't aligned with the drum exactly so I started playing with the adjustment tightening the side it was drifting to and loosing the opposite screw and that worked well for a few days next thing you know the belt has slide far enough to the left that started shredding. I started over again but am having a issues any tips would be great!

David, sorry can't help you but I'm interested in replies. Have a 16/32 with tracking problems
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

No help here. My 10-20 always goes to the open side no matter the tracking adjustments. Even reversed the belt and still tracked off to one side, don't remember if the same side. I have a new belt but haven't tried it. Use the machine very little because of the aggravation.

I have a 16-32 and it tracks to the closed side. Ihave numerous times to correct the tracking but it still track to the closed side. I bout it used so I have been thinking maybe I need to try a new feed belt.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have a Jet 10-20 and keep the belt tight, not loose at all.

I start with the belt in the center and tighten it up until it feels some what tight. I then turn on the drive motor on high and do the first part of the tracking.
    Once it is tracking kind of close I mark each end of the roller with a pencil and watch the belt. If it moves to the closed side I will tighten that side up just a little or if it moves to the open end I will tighten that side up.

Tracking is funny and not the easiest thing to get right. After using the sander for a while I noticed that the belts wants to track to the closed side, so if I still I can still see the roller I just don't worry about it. I have not had to retrack the belt in a very long time, it just wants to stay on the closed side a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have a Jet 10-20 and keep the belt tight, not loose at all.

I start with the belt in the center and tighten it up until it feels some what tight. I then turn on the drive motor on high and do the first part of the tracking.
    Once it is tracking kind of close I mark each end of the roller with a pencil and watch the belt. If it moves to the closed side I will tighten that side up just a little or if it moves to the open end I will tighten that side up.

Tracking is funny and not the easiest thing to get right. After using the sander for a while I noticed that the belts wants to track to the closed side, so if I still I can still see the roller I just don't worry about it. I have not had to retrack the belt in a very long time, it just wants to stay on the closed side a little.
    That's kinda what I was afraid of Bill. Wished I had never messed with cause it was riding fine where it was!

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    That's kinda what I was afraid of Bill. Wished I had never messed with cause it was riding fine where it was!
    Just take it slow with the adjustments and you can get it back like it was.
    Get a cup of coffee and a stool, then start the belt and watch it and make slow adjustments.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Just take it slow with the adjustments and you can get it back like it was.
    Get a cup of coffee and a stool, then start the belt and watch it and make slow adjustments.

Good luck!!
    Hmmm haven't anyone suggest that much fun since my last defragger video.

Once you make an adjustment on the belt tension, it takes several full circles of the belt to see the full result of the change. That takes maybe a minute even if the speed control is wide open. My machine is fairly new and came with these little plastic things called "trackers". They are installed on the belt itself on the under side of the conveyor and act as guides to reduce the sensitivity of the adjustment. IIRC, these little gadgets are available from Jet as a retrofit for older machines. Your owner's manual will mention them if they came standard on your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Once you make an adjustment on the belt tension, it takes several full circles of the belt to see the full result of the change. That takes maybe a minute even if the speed control is wide open. My machine is fairly new and came with these little plastic things called "trackers". They are installed on the belt itself on the under side of the conveyor and act as guides to reduce the sensitivity of the adjustment. IIRC, these little gadgets are available from Jet as a retrofit for older machines. Your owner's manual will mention them if they came standard on your machine.
    How many did you get? I have something with 2 grooves in it the previous owner gave. Can't remember for what though.

A hah The Jet manual actually shows where they go where as the Performax has no mention. Time to see if one is on the machine already cause I have one in hand. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten lost.