Thread: Should I use polyurethane, or something else?

Should I use polyurethane, or something else?

I'm making a dining room table out of doug fir and I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect the wood, if anything. I stained the whole thing first and then painted over it. Normally the paint would be all I would need, however I was going for that distressed, old worn look so I used my sander to basically take away a lot of the paint. So there's some paint covered areas and some areas of just the stained wood showing. Not sure if I should use anything to protect/seal it. Normally if I just stained the wood I would use poly, should I just do that? Some type of oil or wax? Or something completely different?
    Last edited by Michael Furey; 06-05-2015 at 12:42 PM.

A lot of real professional WW would likely frown upon use of poly on furniture, but I made my 5 year old nephew lots of toy trucks and coated them with poly. Over the years, there hasn't been a single crack, chip or anything of any of those trucks-I'm sure they took a lot of abuse. That was several coats of spray poly.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Test your idea on scrap, and see what you think of the result. Stain, paint, and distress the scrap just as you did your table, apply a topcoat of poly, and decide whether you're happy with it.

Keep in mind that petroleum solvent-based polyurethane will introduce an amber tint to your work, which may matter depending on the color of the paint you used. Water-based poly will not.
    Chuck Taylor

Good idea...I will try it on a scrap piece first. I do use a water based satin poly, so it should stay nice and clear and provide a hard protective covering.

Listen to charles.

If you are going to use the table everyday I woould look at a higher end water based finish like general water based enduro var. It has an amber tint to it and 45 minute acetone and water rating. My ex wife spilled nail polish remover on an oak table I did. The finish didn't and long. I had to sand it down and start over. It isn't a cheap finish but is worth it.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

If you want that "distressed, old worn look" don't add any more finish to the table. Leave it as it is. It will acquire new dings and stains and such, and look more old and worn.

If you are going to use the table everyday I woould look at a higher end water based finish like general water based enduro var. It has an amber tint to it and 45 minute acetone and water rating. My ex wife spilled nail polish remover on an oak table I did. The finish didn't and long. I had to sand it down and start over. It isn't a cheap finish but is worth it.
    What did you use on the oak table?
    You mention that the General Enduro has a 45 min acetone rating - -but - - is that what the nail polish remover destroyed?
    I only ask because nail polish remover is acetone.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...