Thread: Source for drill bushing

Source for drill bushing

Wondering if I can tap into the collective resourcefulness of the crowd. I am looking for what I believe is called a drill bushing. What it essentially is is a piece of steel that is about 3/4" long with a OD of 3/8" with a hole 3/16" in diameter drilled through the center. What I need to do is drill a hole 3/8" and then insert this bushing into the hole and drill a 3/16" hole in the center. The original hole is guided by a block with threaded drill inserts but it sits fairly far back from the start of the hole. The 3/8" bit doesn't wander but the 3/16" one does hence the need for the bushing.

I would have have thought this would be very easy to source but it is turning out to be tough to find. Anyone know where I can find such a creature?

Thanks in advance for your time
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Piece of cake...
    McMaster or Reid Supply

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    A 3/16 ID x 3/8 OD x 3/4 long drill bushing will be hard to find. 3/16 ID x 5/16 OD is the norm. McMaster-Carr sells a 3/16 ID x 3/8 OD x 1/2 long, if you can live with a shorter length.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

http://www.drill-bushings.com/cart.asp
    You want the Serrata type.

Thanks for the time guys - I really appreciate it. 1/2" is a little on the short side for what I am looking for but I think the link Rick sent is pointing me in the right direction.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    http://www.drill-bushings.com/cart.asp
    You want the Serrata type.
    That is a great link. Thanks for sharing.

Late to the game but here is a link for a great source. We used their products a lot when I was doing tool and die work.

http://www.carrlane.com/catalog/inde...173C1B08535246

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about the concept for years of getting bushings to be able to use 3/4" dogs in the 1" holes of my Sjoberg's bench. Would 3/4"ID/1"OD bushings work for that? Is there too little play in the tolerance to place and remove the dogs, or would it work if I epoxied the bushings permanently to 3/4" dogs (would that eliminate height adjustment of the dogs)?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.