Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shaving (not wood)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Brett Luna: any more insight on the advantages of "the good stuff" over the "starter kit"?
    Blade: like almost any woodworking tool, you can get a solid, bare bones shaver for a modest sum. There's nothing wrong with my basic Dovo starter that now sees duty in my travel kit. But some of the higher quality blades are better balanced, have better steel, or are just plain prettier and a pleasure to use. Some are full hollow ground, half hollow, or wedges. Some are even Damascus. You can pay as much as your wallet will bear but you don't have to go brand new, custom, or high dollar. As with handplanes, there are plenty of vintage blades out there at a reasonable price that you can refurbish. There are also folks on wet shaving forums who offer refurbs for sale at fair prices and many of the old hands recommend this as a good way to get started for not a lot of money. An added bonus of that is the blade will usually come to you well sharpened by someone who knows how to do it. Some online vendors offer sharpening with the sale of a new blade but otherwise, they come with a factory edge that isn't shave-ready.

Brush: generally speaking, as brush prices increase so does the quality of the knot. The hair is usually denser and they tend to shed less over their lifetime than their cheaper cousins. The Art of Shaving brush I started with was okay but a bit sparse and limp...too much so for cake soap, really. Like woodworking tools, again, there are deals to be found among the high quality brushes, too. My Rooney wasn't the most expensive in its class but it has held up very well for a few years now.

Soap/cream: this is largely personal preference. It's your face after all and you'll be the judge of what feels (and smells) good to you. You'll see all kinds of ingredients mentioned...like palm or vegetable tallow, wool fat or lanolin, etc...that are meant to produce a rich lubricating lather. Prices often (but not always!) reflect the quality of ingredients and manufacturing processes.

Strop: Another item subject to preference with choices like cow or horse leather; or cotton, linen, or nylon canvas. I started with a narrow Col. Conk model that I beat up pretty good through poor stropping technique. I know better now and I'm quite pleased with my full width latigo & linen 2-strop set from Tony Miller. He also offers a practice strop as an add-on.

So, this is my 'nice' kit:

• Heribert Wacker 15/16 "Antik" Spanish Point Limited Edition, #1 of 16, with blond horn scales
    • Rooney Model 1, size 2 "Super Silvertip" shaving brush
    • Tony Miller 3" Artisan latigo/linen strop
    • Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle (not pictured)

It's not the nicest one out there by any stretch and you can certainly get a baby-butt-smooth shave for much less...but it was a birthday gift to myself a few years ago and I indulged myself.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Interesting, Brett. I have not tried a Dovo ,but they get pretty good reviews. Have you seen a 19th century wedge razor yet? On YouTube there are videos of guys sharpening hatchets and shaving with them. I now own an old wedge and I'm pretty sure it would be EASIER to shave with a hatchet. The wedge is just a collectible ,I wouldn't dare try to use it.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 06-04-2015 at 10:34 PM.

I got sick of paying for the multi-blade wonders too. Picked up an old style safety razor at Target, a 100 pack of blades and some shave soap off of Amazon. I figure the $27 I spent on the soap and blades will last me over 2 years. So that's .25 cents a week or less. I spent that $27 every quarter with those 5 blade coated wonders. Shaving takes a bit longer but I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Interesting, Brett. I have not tried a Dovo ,but they get pretty good reviews. Have you seen a 19th century wedge razor yet?
    I've seen and read about a few wedges but I don't know if any were that old. At least one was a new custom model. While they are interesting, they don't really appeal to me as a work-a-day razor.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Anybody remember the Saturday Night Live mock razor commercial from years ago ? Featured a five blade razor when the
    real stuff was two blade. Ended with " because you'll believe anything ". Yesterday's comedy is today's "high tech".

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Anybody remember the Saturday Night Live mock razor commercial from years ago ? Featured a five blade razor when the real stuff was two blade. Ended with " because you'll believe anything ". Yesterday's comedy is today's "high tech".
    Yes, and it's hard not to laugh at today's razors because of it!

I've been using the Gillette Trac II razor with Fusion Gel for years. Although I've tried razors with more blades (3,4...), but find they load up fast & gum up the blade slots, whereas the Trac II, with the two blades, is tolerable and each blade lasts about a month or so. I've also considered going back to the old 2-bladed safety Gillette razor, but find they are as expensive as the newer multi-blade models. I buy replacement Trac II blades online (eBay) at great prices.

Blog Entries
    Interesting read. Me? Mostly beard, but I hit the cheeks and neck with a Norelco electric when I need to look cleaned up. Being retired now, that is about 3 times a week. Getting lazy. Always been a electric kind of guy, same in the shop, not too many Neanderthal style tools. That $80 razor will last about 10 years, so that is only 8 bucks a year. Throw in a quarter's worth of electricity in that time period. I can count on 10 fingers the number of times I have wet shaved in my life.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-05-2015 at 8:39 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Dollar Shave Club

Great razors and blades, super prices.

Tried Harry's - got about 6 shaves before I was scraping. I have one more from the sample kit and still can't decide if I want to try more. Pretty disappointing. Can get dozen shaves out of the Gillette Mach3 Turbos. Expensive

As much as I like playing with knives I can't ever see myself going to a straight razor. I'm never awake enough when I shave.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'd stick with multi-blade. I'm old enough so I started shaving before disposables or multi-blade but I've been using multi-blade for a very long time. I have a beard and trim it once in a while. I use a Gillette Sensor Excel and a pack of blade cartridges lasts me a long time but IMO cheap disposables are just as good. Hand soap works but currently using up the Barbasol somebody left here.

Decades ago for some reason - maybe I was out of town without my razor - I bought a classic double-edged razor and blades and was very disappointed. Whether 2-3 blades are better than one or not, the multiblade razors shave better than traditional double-edge blades. Maybe they can make them sharper.

I get a kick out of the recent TV ads for double-edge razors. Maybe they found a bunch in a third-world country. I'm not buying. I can't speak for straight razors.

Get an old toothbrush and wipe out the multi-blades frequently. They get clogged before they get dull.

My only comment: Where is Dave Weaver when we need him?* Straight razors was the thing for him.

Nothing has changed for me since the last time we had this discussion. Same double edge razor I've used for decades, Meijer brand blades (used to be made in the USA, now Israel but seem to work the same), Barbasol shaving cream. Had a package of disposable razors but the wife and daughters heisted them to shave their legs.

-Tom

*Speaking of missing people, where has Winton Applegate been? This woodworking leper enjoyed puzzling out his mysterious runes ;-)

I switched almost 4 years ago. I started shaving with a Gillette double edge so switching back from a Sensor was not a big deal. Prices for the cartridges got too obscene for me.
    Merkur 34C double edge razor.Feather or Merkur blades, though I’m still using up my initial purchase of 100 Shark blades.
    Taylor of Old Bond Street creme and a cheep Tweezerman brush. I could never go back to aerosol.

After 25 years in the military, when I retired, I couldn't WAIT to grow a beard. Easiest thing I ever did - people like the look, and compliment me on it; and all I had to do was NOTHING.

That said - again based on being in the Army; to get a closer shave, all you have to do is stand closer to the razor, no matter what type it is.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Sensor as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.

While on the subject: what do you prefer in shaving creams/gels?
    I use my low angle block plane, works great!