Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shaving (not wood)

About a year ago I grew a mustache and goatee so this has cut down my shaving quite a bit. I still shave the sides every other day or so and use a five blade razor. It lasts a long time and I have also quit using shaving cream so my costs are way down. I just use warm water on my face and it works fine. I have not had any irritation what so ever but I would guess that a full shave may still require some kind of shaving gel or cream.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Well I jumped in chin first< sorry> and ordered the following: Muhle 89 Grande, EJ Super Badger shaving brush, D.R. Harris shaving soap, and an assorted blade pack. Haven't received shipping notice yet, expect to receive next week though.

Blog Entries
    Awesome! Good luck! I would have ordered a styptic stick and band aids too! I am sure I would be cutting myself until I learned how to use that razor.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I tried to post some pics to this thread but could not for some reason, so HERE http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Shaving-Stand is the stand I made for my newly purchased shaving products.

Google Dorco. Cheap, last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I tried to post some pics to this thread but could not for some reason, so HERE http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Shaving-Stand is the stand I made for my newly purchased shaving products.
    Very nice Rick, I may have to make myself one now..............Regards, Rod.

Anything new on this in the last couple/three/four/five years?

I grew a beard when I retired back in 2011 & now, 7 years later I find myself disliking the beard more than I disliked shaving.

My wife (she liked my beard) picked up some disposable razors that, I swear to heaven,,,,,,are made from old scrap sea shells (Like Fred and Barney used) & tear my face up something fierce.

I figured I'd start my search here since I recalled a thread about shaving once upon a time.

Anyone using the Dollar Shave Club?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Sensor as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.

While on the subject: what do you prefer in shaving creams/gels?
    I know many guys who have done exactly what you are talking about. They ditched the $7/week Gillette habit and moved back to an old fashioned "Safety Razor".

Generally - if you start with a reasonably modern Gillette or American Safety Razor housing - available disposable double edge razor blades work fine. You can still buy new housings - but old ones are available all over the place for $20-$30.

And quality new production double edge blades are available all over the place including in supermarkets.

My brother and my friends who use these love Feather brand blades - especially the super expensive coated blades... But my Brother generally shaves with CVS blades due to cost....
    Last edited by John C Cox; 07-09-2018 at 9:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    ... smells to me like stale beer. Not my favorite smell in the morning.
    Ah, the days of matriculation.

Shaving is such a pain I try not to do it all at once.

shaving_IMG_0173.jpg

JKJ

I hope that's not an ingredient in the alpaca hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I hope that's not an ingredient in the alpaca hair.
    The alpaca fleece is pure alpaca. How much do you want? It spins very nicely into yarn.

Razors? We don't need no steenking razors!

My darling wife of 38 years has never seen my chin. I've long forgotten what it looks like.

I have one of the old school double edge razors and it works well-- if I don't let things get too out of control. I find it isn't always the best if I go for 3-5 days without shaving, then try to use it. The hair gets loo long and it won't get them all in the first pass. Otherwise, I've completely switched over to disposable straight blade razors (only the blade is disposable) for my bald noggin' and face. It works well, but there was a learning curve. For the first few weeks, it looked like I pissed off an army of tiny ninjas-- especially on the left side (until that hand figured out what it was doing). Now I can shave my head and face in one go and probably have a single nick 50% of the time. Besides the low cost, the nice thing is that I can take off a full 6-month beard in one pass. It's a single blade, there's nothing to clog.

As far as costs, a $30 blade supply lasts me a couple of years, and that's changing blades every week or so. On top of that, blades are available about everywhere if you travel to any far out places (that's how I got started-- got stuck in the Sahara for a few months and the only little store carried only straight razor blades).
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Razors? We don't need no steenking razors!
    My darling wife of 38 years has never seen my chin. I've long forgotten what it looks like.
    Once I shaved my beard off after 20 years.
    - I went to work and two people immediately said the same thing: "Grow it back"
    - My kids didn't recognize me.
    - My dog growled at me.
    - My wife was not happy. People kept telling me "You look 10 years younger", "You look 10 years younger." She didn't have a beard to shave off so she could look 10 years younger.

JKJ