Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uhmw

Uhmw

Does this stuff wear very well when sliding on wood, concrete?

Am thinking about making a jig for a track saw using some strips, and also using some to facilitate my DC barrel sliding on the floor when emptying....
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

oh, yeah - very slidy stuff - lasts a long time in industrial-strength applications.

just one thing - when you drive screw into / thru it, it will expand/mushroom without proper pilot holes/countersinks/ care
    saw/route/drill/machine - all very easy

I gots a chunk of 3/4" around somewhere - maybe 24" x 36" - - - maybe 18" x 30" - - - in that range

We could work out a deal somehow if you want it......
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I use it to protect the runners on my snow blower from the concrete driveway. It is often used as a liner for dump trucks so the gravel/dirt will slide out easier when tee bed is tipped.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    oh, yeah - very slidy stuff - lasts a long time in industrial-strength applications.

just one thing - when you drive screw into / thru it, it will expand/mushroom without proper pilot holes/countersinks/ care
    saw/route/drill/machine - all very easy

I gots a chunk of 3/4" around somewhere - maybe 24" x 36" - - - maybe 18" x 30" - - - in that range

We could work out a deal somehow if you want it......
    that is a respectable chunk.

Maybe sometime when I have to come down to the sensory overload area (my impression of being below Exit 12), I can come by and give you some of my cash.....
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

UHMW is made to slide things across, that's it's job It's on tons of conveyor systems and places where things slide across them all day.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-05-2015 at 2:03 PM.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yeah I agree w/ what everyone else says, it is great.

One of the woodworking magazines even made mobile bases that, instead of wheels, had UHMW pads. You didn't wheel the machines around, you slid them. It looked interesting.

Dirt and grit can get embedded in it effectively turning it into sand paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I use it to protect the runners on my snow blower from the concrete driveway. It is often used as a liner for dump trucks so the gravel/dirt will slide out easier when tee bed is tipped.
    How durable is it in that application? I have concrete pavers and the runners aren't always happy on it.
    How do you attach them? Glue obviously isn't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    How durable is it in that application? I have concrete pavers and the runners aren't always happy on it.
    How do you attach them? Glue obviously isn't going to work.
    machine bolts, countersunk in the UHMW strips, would be my choice.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunkele View Post
    Dirt and grit can get embedded in it effectively turning it into sand paper.
    I haven't run into that problem..........

Blog Entries
    Nor I. How dirty is your shop ;-) I have sled runners that are going on a decade old and are still as tight and slick as ever and I don't treat them with kid gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Nor I. How dirty is your shop ;-) I have sled runners that are going on a decade old and are still as tight and slick as ever and I don't treat them with kid gloves.
    It is a lot cleaner now that I got most of the junk out, I can actually see the edges of the floor, and sweep up to them

Several years ago, I put down an epoxy floor, like in an aircraft hanger--worked out great, but was going to be so slick, I was afraid that I would slip on it, so I embedded sand, then another layer, of course over that. It's a great floor, and just enough grip to matter.

The UHMW that I have is only, I think, 3/8", I would like a little thicker, but will likely just epoxy a layer together.

Does epoxy hold that stuff together, if I make in grippy with some scoring and maybe some holes, right?
    David

First - I went looking - not sure what happened to the 3/4" UHMW - got used? Got misplaced? However, I do see 2 sheets of 1/4" x 12" x 24", though.

I know of no way to use adhesive on UHMW - mechanical fasteners only, has been my personal experience.

All of the members of the polyolefin family (polyethylene, polypropylene, and UHMW) are considered to be low surface energy plastics and as such are difficult to bond by other than mechanical means. Having said that, 3M has a series of pressure sensitive adhesives (psa) that is specifically designed to bond to low surface energy plastics. It is their 300LSE series and the rolls are 60 yards by whatever width you want them cut to. They are available in .002", .0035", and .005" thicknesses and can provide a full structural bond as long as both mating surfaces are completely whetted out.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    All of the members of the polyolefin family (polyethylene, polypropylene, and UHMW) are considered to be low surface energy plastics and as such are difficult to bond by other than mechanical means. Having said that, 3M has a series of pressure sensitive adhesives (psa) that is specifically designed to bond to low surface energy plastics. It is their 300LSE series and the rolls are 60 yards by whatever width you want them cut to. They are available in .002", .0035", and .005" thicknesses and can provide a full structural bond as long as both mating surfaces are completely whetted out.

Who was that masked man?

Dave - not your general in-passing knowledge. What is it that you do that put this one in your wheelhouse?