Thread: Unknown tools

Unknown tools

Hi All,
    At an auction I purchased a box of tools most of which I know and use, there two I can not figure out what they are or how to use them. Any help would be great.
    The first is a Stanley clamp with the #400 on it. The second is another clamp but for what??
    Thanks, Syd
    Attached Images Attached Images

The first is used for clamping moldings for picture frames while they are being nailed. The other I should know but can't think of it at the moment. I looks like it's part of something larger.

Maybe the second one is for clamping a light or something else to the edge of a table top
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 06-03-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Dave's won the prize.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I wish the corner clamps that I have were as well made.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The 2nd item is a table clamp base for something that would bolt to it. It looks like it has 5 positions that the item can be angled and locked in place.

John

The first is a miter vise to hold miters together while "chase sawing" i.e. sawing through the miter with a hand saw to improve the fit, notice the small block with the saw kerf at the intersection of the miters. It could also be used as clamp, but it will not the draw the miters together. I + the second as part of something else.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    The first is a miter vise to hold miters together while "chase sawing" i.e. sawing through the miter with a hand saw to improve the fit, notice the small block with the saw kerf at the intersection of the miters. It could also be used as clamp, but it will not the draw the miters together.
    +1

You get your miters close then butt the two pieces against each other, clamp them down, and then cut through the joint to clean it up and match the miters and faces. When I was in grad school we used one primarily as a corner clamp for canvas stretchers and picture frames as Dave describes.

I have no idea on the second one. It looks like part of something more to me as well.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Google............Stanley 400 clamp, and you will get more than you want to know
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.