Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bed Build

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    First and I can’t help it but...

Do you realize you have brought back a three year old thread. Couldn’t help it as people have coranary attacks over such on these forums often. I get the context of you bringing this back and that it does not apply but I can’t help but be a jack ass.
    Says the guy with a machine tool build thread in the hand tool forum LOL

(Just joking, Patrick )
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Blog Entries
    First and I can’t help it but...

Do you realize you have brought back a three year old thread. Couldn’t help it as people have coranary attacks over such on these forums often. I get the context of you bringing this back and that it does not apply but I can’t help but be a jack ass.

Second you really have stopped with all these machine tools Brian. I. Very disappointed lol

Hehe. I'm finding I'm near max capacity for machines, but if find the right old Martin shaper and paint it to match the walls maybe my wife won't notice?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian I read this on my phone sitting waiting for a pizza after spending all day driving around a 26” box truck picking up my new saw. I laughed sooooo hard as I can totally relate. My first thought was “dam that’s a really really good idea” lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Hehe. I'm finding I'm near max capacity for machines, but if find the right old Martin shaper and paint it to match the walls maybe my wife won't notice?

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Says the guy with a machine tool build thread in the hand tool forum LOL

(Just joking, Patrick )

Play nice. I squared my mortise corners with a chisel. A very very very expensive overpriced one lol..

I also hand sanded everything to 400 grit. Took me five hours to work through those grits by hand with a block. The block counts as a hand tool doesn’t it

I also cut the cheeks of my tenons with a hand saw and paired them back to my layout lines. Spoken like a true Bostonian I’m Wicked offended guy!

By the way Brian. The bed is very nice.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-08-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Play nice. I squared my mortise corners with a chisel. A very very very expensive overpriced one lol..

I also hand sanded everything to 400 grit. Took me five hours to work through those grits by hand with a block. The block counts as a hand tool doesn’t it

I also cut the cheeks of my tenons with a hand saw and paired them back to my layout lines. Spoken like a true Bostonian I’m Wicked offended guy!

By the way Brian. The bed is very nice.
    No offense intended, just my sarcastic sense of humor showing its ugly head LOL. And for the record, I use the jointer, planer, and table saw on pretty much everything I build otherwise I'd never actually complete anything.
    Sorry for the short thread hijacking
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

I was just playing back.

No offense taken.

Now back to Brian...

For real pretty talented guy to say the least. Have your seen him all dressed. Stylish devil also, I internet stalked a photo of him in what look to be a pair of Tom Ford sunglasses pulling a Uber thin shaving at a posh Brooklyn nerd fest.

Brain I say all the above “other than you being crazy talented” completely in jest and being nothing more than playful.

Ok time to walk the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    No offense intended, just my sarcastic sense of humor showing its ugly head LOL. And for the record, I use the jointer, planer, and table saw on pretty much everything I build otherwise I'd never actually complete anything.
    Sorry for the short thread hijacking

Blog Entries
    Thank you! Much appreciated. I have been driving toward tighter joinery over the past few years and machinery does help significantly in that regard but it cannot be done in my small shop without hand tools.

If the through wedged tenons weren’t so prominent on this piece I would have liked to replace them with a draw bored joint. Draw boring is truly demountable, where wedged tenons might be very difficult to take apart once glued. In the original it is glued to not come apart, but in this one I have been thinking to just use hide glue on the wedges. So, in theory at least, they could be steamed and driven out.

I planned this dovetail joint the same way, it’s hide glued, but I plan to leave the adjoining crossmember without glue then put in a dovetail on top that is removable.

Blog Entries
    This was my setup for the dovetails. It's a tedious setup but allowed me to flip the stock and create and work from both sides. The stock had to be parallel, true and square and the miter had to be square to the travel...very square since flipping amplifies any error in squareness, which would make the dovetails out of parallel to one another causing the joint to gap at the corners. It would also cause the joint not to seat. I squared it up in advance using a precision square and many many checks.

The leg stock had to be identical in thickness, it was not in this case, so I had to account for that. I matched measurements using the section left between the dovetails as a reference.

Nice and fun work you are doing.

Look at that neat tidy pile of sticks in the corner with all those tenon.

I like your style, I like it very much.

It brings calm to me just to see another maker so organized a deliberate.

Nothing new from you though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Patrick! I do enjoy it when there is a pile of completed parts neatly stacked.

Blog Entries
    Nearly complete, I haven’t seated the wedged corner joints yet, they’re left open until I’m sure I can remove this from the shop. Measurements say yes but I plan to do a trial run.

This is not seated yet

Very skilled joinery Brian!

Amazing a nd inspiring, as always.

Brian, i seem to remember a special plane you have to do the edge chambering (guess that is redundant). What is it called, please?
    Thank you, Patrick

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents!

Patrick, that would be a mentori ganna.