Thread: Wire for low voltage lighting

Wire for low voltage lighting

Hi everyone.

I am planning on wiring up some 12v LED tape lights on Thursday or Friday. I have everything I need (I hope...) except for a spool of wire. What is the correct wire for low voltage when running it in a wall cavity. will thermostat wire work?

Thanks!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

this might help

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am planning on wiring up some 12v LED tape lights on Thursday or Friday. I have everything I need (I hope...) except for a spool of wire. What is the correct wire for low voltage when running it in a wall cavity. will thermostat wire work?

Thanks!

Dan
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Dan,

I want to preface the following with I'm a general remodeling contractor and not a professional electrician. That said, around me we cannot run low-voltage wiring in the wall for under cabinet lighting, the local code officials/building code dictate it must be something else, we use romex. I'm sure there is a specific spec for it but I do not know what that is, just that romex meets the code. I've never understood the logic because we can install low-voltage wiring for thermostats and phone, just not low-voltage lighting. There are connectors to go from the low voltage wiring outside of the wall to the wiring used under the cabinets. If your local code does not have the same restrictions as mine, then you would be fine to run the same wiring as the fixture manufacturer recommends to connect to the transformer.

A decent electrical supply house should be able to set you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    Hi everyone.

Thanks!

Dan
    I installed some LED tape lighting around the door of a pantry and used bell wire I think it was labeled. 2 20 ga. conductors in a sheath sorta like real light duty romex. The lights I bought were rated to draw 2 amps 12 volts for a 16' roll. This wire is run on the surface, not buried in the wall. Probably be a question for a local inspector type though.

When inside a wall, the wire must follow the rules for 'conventional' wiring; thermostat wire will not do.
    The National Electrical Code (NEC) has been revised in recent years to detail requirements for low voltage lighting.
    A quick Google search found these two resources:
    http://ecmweb.com/content/code-rules...ltage-lighting
    http://inhabitat.com/design-center/l...-2-compliance/

Your local library probably has a current copy of the code.

Neil,

The difference between a lighting installation and a thermostat or phone is the power consumption and possibility of overheating.
    Its not just a local code or inspector preference, its in the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    The chart does help. But at 3 amps, this product is not covered by it. I cannot find a chart going that low. I will find an electrical supply shop that can help.

Thanks!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.