Thread: How would you make this table leg.

How would you make this table leg.

My wife has been on me about building a dining table for awhile now and after months of me putting it off and her not giving me an idea of what she wants, we've finally got an idea. She showed me a picture of a table and it is nice, only problem is, I have no idea how to make the legs. Can you guys take a look at the picture attached and tell me how you would make something like that? Thanks in advance for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This has been covered a number of times here recently. One option would be like ]this.

Looks like a bandsaw project to me

I'd make it in several, individually profiled levels. I'd not try to make it on one piece (maybe, one piece per level, or as Dave references).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    This has been covered a number of times here recently. One option would be like ]this.
    Dave, the legs you showed was what I ended up thinking of doing. Do you by chance have the plans for them or at least a profile drawing? Thanks

Hoang, no, I don't have a plan or the profile drawing. I made the shape up when I made that illustration and didn't bother to keep the SketchUp file afterward. I just eyeballed the profile from the image in the background. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Hoang, no, I don't have a plan or the profile drawing. I made the shape up when I made that illustration and didn't bother to keep the SketchUp file afterward. I just eyeballed the profile from the image in the background. Sorry.
    No worries, thanks for the quick reply. I tried mocking up the profile on autocad so I can print it out to use as a template to cut on the band saw but can't seem to make it look decent.

Try using SketchUp, instead.

I'm no good at sketchup, tried it once or twice but haven't really gotten the hang of it. I can model in 2-D and 3-D CAD much much better. But then again, I tried learning sketchup on my own with really no help.

Understood. Help is available, if there's interest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    I'm no good at sketchup, tried it once or twice but haven't really gotten the hang of it. I can model in 2-D and 3-D CAD much much better. But then again, I tried learning sketchup on my own with really no help.
    PM me, I have Auto-Cad 2004. Maybe I can help.