Thread: Realign Arbor Assembly and Trunnion on Hybrid Saw

Realign Arbor Assembly and Trunnion on Hybrid Saw

I'm a newbie when it comes to tool setup and I feel like a complete idiot posting this.

I have a Ridgid 4512 saw that I began setting up today. After I aligned the blade stops to 90 and 45 degrees I went to set the blade parallel to the mitre slot. Using a dial gauge, I measured a tooth front and back and saw that I was off by about 11,000 of an inch. I proceeded to loosten three of the four trunnion bolts in an attempt to align the blade using a rubber mallet on the table but nothing was happening. Then I made a bad mistake. I loosened the right rear trunnion bolt too much and the right side of the arbor assembly dropped and came out of the trunnion. I can't tell if anything is bent at the moment. I was able to turn the saw over so at least it's not hanging any more.

If I can get the arbor assembly back into the rear trunnion, is there any chance I can get this saw reasonably aligned again? I assume this is done at the factory and that the assembly is aligned to the cast iron table to within a certain tolerance. Like I said, I feel like an idiot posting and I hope I didn't just throw away $500.

Thanks for in advance for your advice.

Joel

Might have to remove the table to do it. If you do, look for shims between the trunion and case. Remember where they were. Mark them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Turner View Post
    ... attempt to align the blade using a rubber mallet on the table but nothing was happening.

Joel
    Yes, you should be able to re-assemble and re-adjust (as long as nothing got bent or broken)

BUT--- the trunnions on this saw are mounted to the bottom of the table-top, not the cabinet (or stand)---so whacking the table will not move the trunnions. You have to go underneath and move the trunnions themselves.

LOL. That would explain why nothing moved when I was tapping it.

So if I get it back together and nothing is bent, I'm going to follow the same procedure as before expect this time, I will move the trunnions to achieve alignment.

Quick update. I had to flip the table and remove the dust collector port to put everything back together. The threaded rod that controls blade tilt looked slight bent, but otherwise, everything seemed ok. I was able to to get the assembly back on the trunnion, and went through setting up the saw this weekend. Everything seems to be working fine and I believe I was able to get the saw aligned. Time will tell once I start using it, but my test cuts looked good.

Glad it worked out....thanks for the update.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Bueno. Glad it worked out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler