Thread: Alternative to General Finishes Milk Paint?

Alternative to General Finishes Milk Paint?

I like the General Finishes Milk Paint, which is really just a high-quality (it seems to me at least) acrylic paint that comes in somewhat historical colors.

A primer isn't required, it sprays nicely (thinned), it covers well, has a nice sheen (not too flat, not too glossy), it sands great between coats (actually powders-up), etc.

But the color selection is quite limited, and it is only stocked locally in smaller containers, and runs $14+ per pint (depending on where I buy it).

I have local Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams stores, and was wondering whether either of those places make a paint with similar properties that I could just have tinted to whatever color I like?

Edit to add: The Benjamin Moore site shows an "Advance" paint which may have many of the same qualities. Anyone with any experience painting cabinets with this stuff? The site says certain custom colors require a deep-tinted primer. One of my preferred colors from General Finishes is the Tuscan Red, which is a very deep red, and I know deep reds can have problems covering (not the General Finishes, though). Hmmm...
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 06-12-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Phil,
    At the risk of being heretic, how about just using tinted primer from SW or BM? It tends to sand very well, is is flat in sheen.

In my limited playing around with paints as wood finish, almost anything without latex in it tends to sand well.

Yes, a good 100% acrylic trim paint (not wall paint) in your desired sheen should work fine for cabinets. Of course, you could use real milk paint, but that is an entirely different matter. Milk paint is more durable, but can show water marks and needs to be sealed with oil/varnish to give a sleeker look. I've never sprayed milk paint and wonder how that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Phil,
    At the risk of being heretic, how about just using tinted primer from SW or BM? It tends to sand very well, is is flat in sheen.

In my limited playing around with paints as wood finish, almost anything without latex in it tends to sand well.
    That is actually a pretty great idea, but... The GF Milk Paint is actually satin, and I like the sheen.

Phil I prefer Old Fashioned Milk Paint. Its powder and comes in paper bags. With the powder, I can mix up only as much as I need at a time. I mix the different colors to get the color I want, also have added the concentrated color pastes that come in the little tubes, to modify color. I think OFMP can be ordered from Highland Hardware and other places. Don't know if it is authentic, but it looks more authentic than GF. I have some painted objects that have been outside in sun & rain for two years, with only slight weathering.

Primer followed by a clear topcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Primer followed by a clear topcoat.
    I think you're onto something there, Prashun.

I'll do a little experimenting and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Phil I prefer Old Fashioned Milk Paint. Its powder and comes in paper bags. With the powder, I can mix up only as much as I need at a time. I mix the different colors to get the color I want, also have added the concentrated color pastes that come in the little tubes, to modify color. I think OFMP can be ordered from Highland Hardware and other places. Don't know if it is authentic, but it looks more authentic than GF. I have some painted objects that have been outside in sun & rain for two years, with only slight weathering.
    My current issue is the cost and the availability of the GF milk paint, the real milk paints (which I've used a great deal) don't really help in either regard, unfortunately.

Re: GEn FInishes Milk Paint alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I like the General Finishes Milk Paint, which is really just a high-quality (it seems to me at least) acrylic paint that comes in somewhat historical colors.

A primer isn't required, it sprays nicely (thinned), it covers well, has a nice sheen (not too flat, not too glossy), it sands great between coats (actually powders-up), etc.

But the color selection is quite limited, and it is only stocked locally in smaller containers, and runs $14+ per pint (depending on where I buy it).

I have local Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams stores, and was wondering whether either of those places make a paint with similar properties that I could just have tinted to whatever color I like?

Edit to add: The Benjamin Moore site shows an "Advance" paint which may have many of the same qualities. Anyone with any experience painting cabinets with this stuff? The site says certain custom colors require a deep-tinted primer. One of my preferred colors from General Finishes is the Tuscan Red, which is a very deep red, and I know deep reds can have problems covering (not the General Finishes, though). Hmmm...
    I have experienced the same situation. Limited availability and high cost.
    I love the results and the workability of the GF Milk Paint.
    There should be a local distributor who can ship the product to you if too far to pickup. They custom mix my choice of color for $105 per gallon. Price seems a bit high. I use the MP and then topcoat with GF water based poly. I spray apply to cabinets with very good result. I have tried BM paints on cabinet doors with poor results. Always go back to the GF milk paint. Any alternatives would be good to know about.

Phil, have you looked at http://www.wwhardware.com/general-fi...sed-milk-paint? They have what looks to be every color of GF Milk Paint for about $26/quart and $67.50/gal. That's on par or cheaper for what I typically pay for clear coat. You can intermix colors to get any color you want.

John

Check into SW ProMar 200. They have a waterbased acrylic/alkyd that might be what you are looking for. They also have straight acrylic in their Pro-Industrial line.