Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Close-Up and Personal Look at the NEW Lie-Nielsen PLOW PLANE

I like the look of slotted screws myself,on objects that have a vintage design type of look. For example, it really bothers me when I see an infill plane with allen head button screws used on it.

What kind of screws did you have in mind? BTW,the wood handle is pretty ugly. They left the front of the handle as a straight line,though the back side is contoured properly. I don't get it.

Kind of old news, but here is a video from 2013 showing the plow in use by Deneb of Lie-Nielsen: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ap=1&apt=video

Blog Entries
    Wow- They had a working prototype in October of 2013, and we still don't have it released? Anyway, it looks very nice, and heavy. I believe it is important for a plane of this nature to have some heft to it. I love the bronze details; as always with Lie-Nielsen, it looks like a work of art.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting Karl! Did you happen to move the fence at all? I have a record 50c (I think that's the model) with the same 2 rod fence, it is easy to clamp it out of parallel if there is even a slight amount of play in the rods.!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Thanks for posting Karl! Did you happen to move the fence at all? I have a record 50c (I think that's the model) with the same 2 rod fence, it is easy to clamp it out of parallel if there is even a slight amount of play in the rods.!
    Even with the no play in the rods it can be a challenge to get the fence set square. This may be one of the problems with older plow/combination planes people have trying to get them to work for them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Veritas Small Plow is very reliable in setting the fence square. The fence issue was the reason I went to the lengths of a bridle fence when I built a plough.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I do agree Derek that the bridle looks to be the best method for fence adjustment especially on the wooden plow planes.

Derek, do you use your shop made plow much these days? I am curious how it is working out for you, it is probably one of the most beautiful planes I've seen and think you really outdid yourself on that one. I would love to attempt such a project but finding irons in that good of shape is not easy and the time it would take me to make such a plane would not be worth it.

I have invested in a set of Brownell's interchangeable screwdriver tip sets. I can always find the perfect fitting tip for turning screws on expensive guns,and I will not use anything else. Phillips head or other non slotted screws would look horrible on Colt Peacemakers or the like.

As far as buggering a screw,I have seen just as many rutted out Phillips screws as buggered slot screws. Even Allen heads will soon wear out unless a decently hard grade of steel is used in them. I always have to replace the Allen head screws in Chinese made metal lathe tool holders. They get ruined very fast. So,I order a box full of Hollo Chrome or other good brand of screws to replace them as a matter of normal course. I don't even wait for them to get buggered up.

Blog Entries
    I really hope LN get the fence issue right.... if there is anything to be improved upon on the old ones it's the fence, both functionally and ergonomically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I do agree Derek that the bridle looks to be the best method for fence adjustment especially on the wooden plow planes.

Derek, do you use your shop made plow much these days? I am curious how it is working out for you, it is probably one of the most beautiful planes I've seen and think you really outdid yourself on that one. I would love to attempt such a project but finding irons in that good of shape is not easy and the time it would take me to make such a plane would not be worth it.
    Hi Tony

And thanks for the kind words about the plough. It does get used, but not as much as the Veritas ... simply because the latter is so quick to set up and generally has the right blade ready to go.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I heard they also are soon to release Sasquatch and the Chupacabra.

Okay, but seriously- they haven't even worked out the handle yet? This thing was supposed to be released "early 2015." They don't even have the handle figured out?
    Whine, whine, whine.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I dunno about this one. Lots of parts look cheaply designed and after thoughts. All this time and Lie-Nielsen still has to copy another design? Come on really? Stanley probably brought out planes at a faster rate without the help of computers and previous designs.
    ....whine, whine whine.......what in the hell has been their business plan since day one? God Bless us all they are not BCT............

A couple guys have seen one in the wild. That's all. Actual experience should be no impediment. Let the flogging begin.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I still don't know what the obsession is with those silly slotted screws but clearly innovation isn't in the LN dictionary.
    Ummm......you mean that large portfolio of LN tools, all of which use slotted screws? I'm sorry - I meant "silly" slotted screws. This critter is clearly the correct time to break away from that strategy ??? I got enough morphine-derivative products on my bench to go to the streets in ATL and get enough $$ to buy one of these, and even I am wondering what you are on, Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe they are just as obsessed with having slotted screws as you are with having them be something else.
    No foolin....
    Full repertoire of slotted drivers available for an exact fit to plane screws. My money says the chipbreaker screwdriver will fit the screw in this spot, in production.......

munch, munch, munch...........

popcorn (640x640).jpg
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's whining when they keep saying "soon come" and they still don't have a handle figured out. You don't do interviews announcing it will be released "early in 2015" when you don't even have a handle for it.

The screw thing, however, I agree that's a bit whiny.

Either take more or less of those meds- one or the other.

The screw thing, however, I agree that's a bit whiny.

Either take more or less of those meds- one or the other.
    haven't taken a single pill.........trying to not go down that path.........just riding the storm out........

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I tried this plane out a little at Handworks as well. Seems solidly built. I don't have much experience with plow/combo planes, so I wasn't sure how the depth adjustment worked. I seem to remember the blade having a groove to keep it aligned with the body's corresponding notch.

I got to play with this a little in Amana as well, and would agree that it is solidly built and true to its roots. I initially had some problem keeping il square. The fence a narrower that any combo, or wooden plow, and is closer to the work since there is no auxiliary wooden fence, but using your gand as a fence, like I would when edge jointing, worked well.