Thread: Siberian Elm bowl

Smile Siberian Elm bowl

I finished this smaller bowl about a mont ago I think, and left it sit to let the Polymerized Tung oil harden up, while LOML and I went to visit my youngest son and family in Kanata, (part of Ottawa now) as it is a thousand mile drive, we do stay a few weeks to make it worthwhile.

So after we came back I took the bowl and a few others and polished them up, rather good looking wood I think and I like the grain and color of this “weed tree”, more than some of the other Elm varieties.

Not very large at about 10” X 4” but still a nice user I think

Siberian Elm 1.jpg Siberian Elm 2.jpg Siberian Elm 3.jpg Siberian Elm 4.jpg
    Have fun and take care

That gives me hope, Leo, for the pallet of "weed tree" I have in the barn. Very nice. I''m trying to understand the grain. Was it a branch inclusion that caused that wave?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

3. Beauty, Leo. Gotta love the grain on that elm. I have a couple of pieces somewhere in my wood pile, of what is called around here "Chinese elm," wonder if it is the same thing?

good looking form and finish!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    That gives me hope, Leo, for the pallet of "weed tree" I have in the barn. Very nice. I''m trying to understand the grain. Was it a branch inclusion that caused that wave?
    Thanks Doug , I just don’t recall what the piece looked like, or where t came out of the tree/log, It is typical for these trees to grow in distorted shapes, usually not saw logs, but good for turning wood.

But yes there had to be a reason for the distortion of the grain, even though there is no limb or branch going in/through this piece of wood, a large enough limb will certainly affect the wood in that area through pressure or tension, makes wood such a ever changing material for us to work with and enjoy 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Beauty, Leo. Gotta love the grain on that elm. I have a couple of pieces somewhere in my wood pile, of what is called around here "Chinese elm," wonder if it is the same thing?

good looking form and finish!
    Thanks Roger .

I think the mis-naming of the Siberian Elm has been discussed here before, but it is quite easily to see the difference between the Siberian Elm and the Chinese Elm, see pictures.

The Siberian Elm was introduced by the US to be used as windbreaks in the harsh environment of the north west prairie, also used in Canada for the same reason plus a few other species, like Russian Olive and Caragana and farther south Osage Orange was used for that.

The Chinese Elm was brought in as a park tree for its looks, it is not at all a hardy tree and grows only in nice warm and more humid places, not found here in Canada or the largest part of the US.

Siberian Elm Siberian Elm bark.jpg Chinese Elm Chinece Elm bark.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 05-27-2015 at 6:09 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Thanks Roger .

I think the mis-naming of the Siberian Elm has been discussed here before, but it is quite easily to see the difference between the Siberian Elm and the Chinese Elm, see pictures.

I think is was I who was unsure what I had and you set me straight, Leo. I definitely have Siberian Elm and it is definitely a weed. The thousands of seedlings get started in a landscape and are nearly impossible to kill. You have to dig up the root and you have to get it all or it will be back in no time. If you let it go, it will destroy a parking lot or crack a foundation wall. I cut mine down with the help of a fellow Creeker to save a parking lot last year. So far, it has handled some Thompson lathe tools and the vices on my workbench, and I have made a platter and some bowls. I got one nice NE bowl while it was green, but I don't think I could do that now that it's been down a year.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

7. Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Thanks Roger .

The Siberian Elm was introduced by the US to be used as windbreaks in the harsh environment of the north west prairie, also used in Canada for the same reason plus a few other species, like Russian Olive and Caragana and farther south Osage Orange was used for that.

The Chinese Elm was brought in as a park tree for its looks, it is not at all a hardy tree and grows only in nice warm and more humid places, not found here in Canada or the largest part of the US.

Thanks Leo........I always appreciate the fact that you seem to possess knowledge about wood and are so helpful to us "creekers." From the pics you have here, I believe the wood I have is the Siberian elm.........the bark is like the pic on the left.
    That really is a good looking bowl you posted....well done, Sir!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-27-2015 at 9:08 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Every time I open one of your posts, I wonder what kind of squirrely grain pattern your going to show. Never disappointed, another fine example. Very cool.

That's great to know Leo and thanks for posting this up. I now have a pile of Siberian Elm in my shed! People in town call the elm "Chinese" and "Siberian Elm" both but it is no doubt the bark on the left photo. I will be finishing up a couple pieces of that soon and can only hope that the colors and grain will look as great as your bowl. Nice Work!!

very nice, Leo

Very ,very nice and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Every time I open one of your posts, I wonder what kind of squirrely grain pattern your going to show. Never disappointed, another fine example. Very cool.
    Thanks David, interesting grain in wood is what makes this material so special and each piece unique, add the unique coloration that each wood has and there is no end to its diversity, love turning it
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    That's great to know Leo and thanks for posting this up. I now have a pile of Siberian Elm in my shed! People in town call the elm "Chinese" and "Siberian Elm" both but it is no doubt the bark on the left photo. I will be finishing up a couple pieces of that soon and can only hope that the colors and grain will look as great as your bowl. Nice Work!!
    Thanks for the reply Steve , Now you know what you have and hope that the pieces you make will “turn” out great , do show the results, we do like pictures 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice, Leo
    Thanks for looking and your reply Charlie
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Very ,very nice and unique.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Robert, it’s appreciated , hoping you are keeping dry up there, are you OK ??
    Have fun and take care