Thread: Hanging a Powermatic Ambient Air Filter

Hanging a Powermatic Ambient Air Filter

I'm thinking of hanging my ambient air cleaner along the 33 degree angled wall in my small shop, see picture. I have very little space but this space isn't being used and it seems it would fit perfectly. My concern is if it will have any adverse effect on the squirrel cage motor being that it is hung like this, rather than hung from the top of the filter?

Pm1200.jpg

P.S. Looks like I can, if I take off the Powermatic's grills off the front and back and get a couple of the wall mounts for the Jet AFS 1000B. The manual says to make sure the diffuser remains on the front of the PM1200, but it appears to me its the same unit as the Jet and it has no front diffuser.

dustjet.jpg
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 05-25-2015 at 10:12 PM.

You want to hang it with the top flat against the angled part of the ceiling rather than hang it level? If it is made like the Jet, I don't see why not since the Jet manual specifies hanging either horizontally or turned 90 deg with the top against the wall. If it can be hung at 90 deg, why not 33 deg.

Seems like it would be easy to fabricate some brackets.

I'm about to move my Jet air cleaner to my new shop. I'm sure you know the mounting location is important for optimum air circulation depending on the shape of the room and tool placement. I plan to raise mine against the ceiling with a panel jack and test the circulation before I mount it permanently.

I called Powermatic to make sure it was ok to hang it on the wall and they said it shouldn't be a problem. I won't be able to use the plastic faceguards that come with it, but the Jet doesn't have either and the motor and enclosure are exactly the same. If you look at the dimensions, the Powermatic appears slightly larger, but that is with the plastic grills. When those are removed, the enclosure is exactly the same size.

I've been trying to think of the ways to hang that thing and the panel jack was one I'm considering. My ceilings are pretty low and I thought I'd watch a few youtube videos to see if it might work. I went ahead and purchased the angle brackets from Jet, rather than try to fabricate a few.

How do you test for circulation?