Thread: PC7518 speed control broke

PC7518 speed control broke

I've been running a PC7518 in my router table for about 5 years. I've made many hundreds of cope and stick cuts, it's been a champ...until today: Regardless of the speed setting, it's running at the same speed (feels like top speed). I'm using a 3" raised panel cutter which requires the slowest speed. I completed the job but was nervous about running that huge cutter at 20K RPM's

Any ideas on the speed control switch? Anyone else have this happen? I'm fed up with doing large volume work on a dink Woodpeck router table setup and plan to buy a shaper when I move into a bigger shop early next year. Until then I'm stuck with what I have.

Thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I could be totally wrong but shouldn't this now work with an external speed control? If it's stuck on the highest speed there should be no internal electrical controls getting in the way.
    Seems like it should be plug and play.

The speed control on that router is electronic, and may change it's mind mid-stream. If you've been running it pretty hard for 5 years in a router table, I believe it's time to take it out and have it reworked. Authorized Porter-Cable service centers will go through it from top to bottom for a set price. Wouldn't be a bad idea given the use it has seen.

Take it out, blow the you know what out of it, move the switch back and forth several times, try again.

Repeat if necessary.

This usually works with my 7518 motor.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mind did the same thing several years ago and when I took it apart I discovered that a plastic tab had broken on the speed switch. Ordered a new part and was good to go. Recommend you take it apart and take a good look it might be able to be fixed easily.

Capacitor failure is common on PC speed controls. After all, what can you expect from a five dollar part that sells for north of a Ben Franklin. Check around the web, as there are several tutorials showing how to replace defective caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Capacitor failure is common on PC speed controls. After all, what can you expect from a five dollar part that sells for north of a Ben Franklin. Check around the web, as there are several tutorials showing how to replace defective caps.
    Yes, I have heard of many people who have brought their porter cable router speed controls back to life by simply replacing a capacitor.
    This guy says he replaced his 22uf 25v capacitor with a 22uf 35v capacitor and it fixed his PC router speed control.
    http://www.routerforums.com/general-...estions-2.html

If you don't want to fix it I will buy it from you at broken router prices and try to fix it myself!