Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ritter, no mas

Ritter, no mas

I called to get a price on a Ritter shaper a couple of weeks ago, the salesman left a message when he returned my call, and I didn't get back to him until today. Apparently Ritter closed their doors this week.

Bummer.

Scratch one more builder of American made Equipment. What are we left with now? Northfield, Unique, Castle, ......?

They weren't exactly at the top of the food chain in terms of quality machinery which is probably why they went under. Personally there's no American made shapers I'd be interested in, but yes Northfield to my knowledge is still in business and make a very robust shaper.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    They weren't exactly at the top of the food chain in terms of quality machinery which is probably why they went under.

The tub boring pocket screw machine sucked, basically a pneumatic kreg jig. Door clamps were good. Face frame clamps were good. Their line bores worked really well. Their shapers were supposed to be pretty good.

They made some good stuff I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The tub boring pocket screw machine sucked, basically a pneumatic kreg jig. Door clamps were good. Face frame clamps were good. Their line bores worked really well. Their shapers were supposed to be pretty good.

They made some good stuff I thought.
    I used one of their shapers for a while... they were supposed to be pretty good...but they were not. They were pretty cheap. And I mean that both ways. Best comment I ever heard, totally nailed it, "Best thing you can say about Ritter Shapers is I think you could replace every part on them at the local Ace hardware". They had that "cobbed" together quality that make you wish you were using something else. Sured looked like a big shaper, just didn't act like one. I never used any of their other stuff, I hear line boring was really their strong suit. I hope so, because shaping sure wasn't.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Gee, that's too bad. I have a Ritter dowel boring machine. They made good boring machines and sanders if not shapers.

I bought a used Faceframe and door clamping station in January off auction. Glad I got the replacement parts (clamping feet) before they closed.

I had to rebuild one of the door clamps and Ritter wanted $165 for the kit. After taking it apart, I was able to rebuild it for $15 in parts and fuel to get across county to have to parts milled.
    -Lud

The auction I got my SAC shaper on, I was bidding on a few things. One of which was a 46 spindle Ritter line bore. It needed work. It was missing all the drill bits, which isn't a big deal, those aren't Ritter specific. One of the drive motors was missing, which might have been specific, or at least difficult to source elsewhere. But I figured I'd just go through the whole thing. Pull the other motor and have it serviced, pull the gear boxes and service those too. Could've been as simple as getting a new motor, and lubing some things, might've gotten expensive quickly. Moral of the story, I'm glad I didn't win that item. Could've been a pain getting it operational again.

I've got a Ritter edge sander. It's not fancy, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Interesting news... No firsthand experience with Ritter except to say that their line boring machines have a pretty solid reputation in the industry. A number of my pro customers own them and say they work well.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

i have their line bore machine, pocket hole machine, and face frame table. They are a no frills designed machines, but have been good dependable machines. I didn't even know they made shapers, but I could imagine they would be pretty crude for that kind of machinery. Like Peter said, you could probably fix about anything on these with a trip to your local hardware store.

They made some neat machines but nothing I wanted to afford. Definitely pro quality machines.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I called to get a price on a Ritter shaper a couple of weeks ago, the salesman left a message when he returned my call, and I didn't get back to him until today. Apparently Ritter closed their doors this week. Bummer. Scratch one more builder of American made Equipment. What are we left with now? Northfield, Unique, Castle, ......?
    Weaver still makes shapers: http://www.weaver-sales.com/3-shaper...m-display.html Sad to hear about Ritter.

My Ritter TESA coping rig has been good to me. RIP.
    JR

Good news... (unless you don't like Ritter)

Our company acquired their IP and has been building much of their base line here in Michigan.
    We have already made some improvements to machines. Hopefully you will give us a chance to serve your company moving forward.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-06-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Like to a site where the poster has a financial interest

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Nichols View Post
    Good news... (unless you don't like Ritter)

Our company acquired their IP and has been building much of their base line here in Michigan.
    We have already made some improvements to machines. Hopefully you will give us a chance to serve your company moving forward.

You guys need to start making the linebore again that drills on the underside and the table doesn't move. I've got an ancient R-46, most of the time the table moving isn't a big deal, but it is a bit of a pain with big parts, and you're just finishing off the end of them.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-06-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: removed link to commercial website.

You guys need to start making the linebore again that drills on the underside and the table doesn't move. I've got an ancient R-46, most of the time the table moving isn't a big deal, but it is a bit of a pain with big parts, and you're just finishing off the end of them.
    Thanks for the feedback Martin. We have discussed that. Seems people are about 50/50 on whether they want top down or bottom up on the drills. All of ours, as you know, are top down. We do have the R19 that is top down with the drills moving instead of the table. This might be of interest.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-06-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: REmoved link to website where there is a financial interest by the poster.