Thread: Large CNC Cut Paint Stencil Material Suggestion

Large CNC Cut Paint Stencil Material Suggestion

I was contacted about cutting a logo for a paint stencil. Just looking for the best material.

My thought is 3mm or 6mm PVC. It's cheap, relatively strong, and fast and easy to cut. I'd be open to something maybe a little more rigid because it's for a school and I can see them possibly breaking the PVC.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ross, I've used PVC with good success, a stronger alternative i sometimes use is .125" or .063" Polycarbonate sheet.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I use polystyrene, it's surprisingly strong and you can use thinner sheets like .02 which make a cleaner image. The 3mm PVC does break easily, and 6mm is way too expensive and thick for stencils.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

We've cut them for years now, mainly out of styrene as well. Depends on the size on which thickness we use. If it's smaller, we might use thinner, but we'll go up to 1/16" on larger ones.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Polystyrene seems like a good way of going. I wanted something a little thinner than 3mm PVC to make it easier to use but was concerned about strength.

I still have a few concerns with the project. It's a 6' long stencil and it's for a school which deals with adults with cerebral palsy. Ease of use is paramount and I think .06" HIPS will be easier to use than PVC.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving