Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone recommend the JDS 2100-ckv or 3100-ckv

Does anyone recommend the JDS 2100-ckv or 3100-ckv

Does anyone have either of these dust collectors? If you do, what do you like about them and what do you dislike about them? I'm trying to decide which to purchase.

I have the 3100 ck like it a lot. A big step up from a single stage. Lots of suction. But I have never had any other cyclone, so can not compare. I have had it over a year and would buy it again. Customer service is great, family run.

Bob

I have an older JDS cyclone and it has been very reliable for me. Like Bob, I can't compare it to anything else. That said, mine is very well built--good welds, nice fit and finish. Assembling and standing it upright was definitely a two person job, but it looks like they have gotten away from the really tall four leg design which probably helps a lot.

You might want to look at the Oneida Gorilla roll-around series too. (http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={B1DB7A85-BA77-47BA-83B5-BD7EA4FA0DD5}) They're essentially the same price. They have a longer cyclone cone than the JDS designs. The longer cone extracts a higher percentage of dust from the air stream, so less gets to the filter. The JDS solution to this issue is a mechanical beater, which has always seemed like a band-aid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You might want to look at the Oneida Gorilla roll-around series too. (http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={B1DB7A85-BA77-47BA-83B5-BD7EA4FA0DD5}) They're essentially the same price. They have a longer cyclone cone than the JDS designs. The longer cone extracts a higher percentage of dust from the air stream, so less gets to the filter. The JDS solution to this issue is a mechanical beater, which has always seemed like a band-aid to me.
    I looked at the Oneida and really like it. It's too tall though to put in my shop. I looked at perhaps installing it outside with an enclosure, but it goes above my roof line. Ideally, I want to put the DC outside in an enclosure with a backdraft damper. My shop is only 12x24. I think the 3HP may be too much, but after the bends and turns, I might just need it. If I could do the Oneida, that'd be the one I bought. I just wish it was smaller. I can't find anything small enough except the JDS in the 2 stage DC market.

I'm still constructing my shop but you can see how small it is in this live stream: http://www.dropcam.com/p/DitNTo

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I have an older JDS cyclone and it has been very reliable for me. Like Bob, I can't compare it to anything else. That said, mine is very well built--good welds, nice fit and finish. Assembling and standing it upright was definitely a two person job, but it looks like they have gotten away from the really tall four leg design which probably helps a lot.
    Getting away from the tall four leg design is one of the main reasons I'm considering it because it would just fit inside my shop.

I have the JDS 3100 would buy it again John and John Junior are good to work with
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I bought a JDS 2100 to replace a Bridgewood single stage, and am very happy with it. I actually wanted to buy the 3100 but my dedicated & sound-insulated DC closet wouldn't accept the 3100's larger size. It took a big shoe horn to get the 2100 in. As the others said, dealing with JDS is a treat.

I had the 3100; got it because I had a low ceiling. It worked well, but the dust bin closing was inadequate and the cleaner going every time it turned off was obnoxious.
    Mine didn't have a remote or the bag holder; I expect those are both big improvements.
    I sold it when I moved. Overall, I prefer the Grizzly I have now, but the JDS was fine except for my two small complaints.
    I got the 3hp because it was cheaper (amazon had it for half off...) but I expect the 2hp would be fine for one tool.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 05-18-2015 at 5:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I had the 3100; got it because I had a low ceiling. It worked well, but the dust bin closing was inadequate and the cleaner going every time it turned off was obnoxious.
    Mine didn't have a remote or the bag holder; I expect those are both big improvements.
    I sold it when I moved. Overall, I prefer the Grizzly I have now, but the JDS was fine except for my two small complaints.
    I got the 3hp because it was cheaper (amazon had it for half off...) but I expect the 2hp would be fine for one tool.
    Do you think the inlet on the cone could be turned 90 degrees? I want to build an outdoor enclosure but have limited space. If I could turn that cone it would be very helpful in not having to place an elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    I looked at the Oneida and really like it. It's too tall though to put in my shop. I looked at perhaps installing it outside with an enclosure, but it goes above my roof line. Ideally, I want to put the DC outside in an enclosure with a backdraft damper. My shop is only 12x24. I think the 3HP may be too much, but after the bends and turns, I might just need it. If I could do the Oneida, that'd be the one I bought. I just wish it was smaller. I can't find anything small enough except the JDS in the 2 stage DC market.

I'm still constructing my shop but you can see how small it is in this live stream: http://www.dropcam.com/p/DitNTo
    The JDS 3 hp collector you reference is 87" tall. The Oneida Gorilla roll-around cyclones are shorter than that. Even some of their stationary cyclones are that short. For instance, look at the V3000. It is less expensive than the JDS, is the same height, and has better performance.

The 3hp Oneida Gorilla only has a 6 inch inlet, the JDS has an 8 inch inlet. It stands 3 inches shorter than the JDS 3hp, so you're right its a bit shorter. I missed that one. The V3000 is 88 inches, taller than the JDS' 86" and too close to my ceiling, however, their performance claims seem to me to be less than JDS? The inlet is only 7 inches.

All of this is very confusing for me. I don't know what to believe. I could care less about the filtering capacity of either Oneida or JDS models as I will vent from an outside enclosure so that isn't a consideration to me. I couldn't find the impeller size for either of those Oneida models, but based on the inlet size, they're probably smaller than the JDS 3 hp which is nearly 16 inches.

To be honest, I like the fact Oneida puts everything out there for your consideration when researching. JDS doesn't publish its manual, or at least I couldn't find one. The dust gorilla I think is out of the question for me because of the small inlet, but you are right it definitely fits from a size standpoint. The V3000 is too tall for my situation (when adding the OEM recommended clearance) and the manual says you're either getting a Baldor motor (all motors from Baldor this size are made in Asia or a Leeson, but it seems to be pot luck from their manual?

Do you have either of those Oneidas?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    ..Do you have either of those Oneidas?..
    No, I have a Woodsucker cyclone. The company is no longer in business. I selected it mostly because it has a compact footprint. Floor space is a challenge in my shop. Many cyclones -- for instance the Grizzly units -- eat more floor space than they really need.

I wish there was an independent static pressure test on these machines. JDS claims seem unreal, but they don't give a source for this test.

Well, looks like JDS has made the decision for me. After several days of calling and leaving messages and then sending questions through their contact system, no one called me back or emailed me back with answers to my simple questions. Oneida guy was all over every question and answered within an hour, despite me giving him a hard time about the shipping costs and filter costs. I didn't want a filter and they would only take the wholesale price off, which is half of what they sell it for on their website. I really wanted the JDS but if they aren't responsive to sales questions, I can't rely on them for service issues that might come up.