Thread: Something you don't see everyday

Something you don't see everyday

I was in Maine at the tool barn and grabbed these photos. Sorry, I am not sure what wood it is. Priced At $85.00 probably a deal for the wood but I did not have a car big enough. Just the hole front. Is that where they hooked the horse to pull it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think we're looking at a cooper's plane (for planing barrel staves)

The plane is stationary (sole up) and the stave is moved over the plane

Yes, part of the whiskey making process. Very important, yet under appreciated, part.

The hole is where a dowel stuck up from the bipod shaped front legs to rest the plane on at an angle. The cooper passed wood over the plane at the downward angle the plane rested at. For convenience in moving or storing the plane,the front legs were easily detached. I have seen a cooper's long jointer that could be taken apart in the middle by means of a special,clever joint. Then,it was easier to carry in a basket or toolbox to a work site. Baskets were often used instead of tool chests as they were lighter in weight than a chest.

Nice early anvil(the smaller one),seen behind the plane. Did you get it?

I didn't think of using it upside down. I have seen pictures of them but I didn't think they were that large. Sorry George I did not get the anvil. I visited both stores and only came out with a few little things. Seemed to be slim pickings even though tourist season has not started yet. I am going back this summer for my father in law's 90th birthday and maybe have better luck.

yes,the cooper used the long plane upside down,like you would pass wood today over an electric jointer. There were other trades where the craftsman used an upside down plane too. Makers of small,cheap(orange crate type) wooden boxes in France,at least,used an upside down heavy wood plane that was set on 4 legs so it was parallel to the floor. The plane was massive enough to not go moving across the floor when thin planks of wood were pushed across it on edge.