Thread: Advice needed, please - Aftermarket Jig for Gravograph M40?

Rankin Inlet, Nunavut Territory, Canada (amongs the Inuit)

Advice needed, please - Aftermarket Jig for Gravograph M40?

Hi folks. I'm looking for some jig or other device that will let me lock down odd shaped projects for my M40 cutter-engraver. Lately I've been getting requests to engrave the blades of Inuit ulus (women's cutting knives), but the handle as is true of most knives I suppose is thicker than the blade. The jigs that were supplied with the machine, even the sticky table, are of no use.

Is there an aftermarket jig that will solidly support the knife while it is being worked on, in such a way that the blade stays level. My problem is two fold, then: getting something to lock it up so it won't move, and elevating the blade part; in my attempts, the engraving starts off well, but then towards the end lines of the project cutter doesn't reach the metal consistently. I tried to upload a couple of photos to better explain, but the uploads keep failing.

I've also tried to laser engrave the blades, using Cermark, but I have never had success with it, and it discolours the stainless steel wickedly.

Thanks, Paul+
    Paul Williams
    Epilog Zing 30watt with CorelDRAW X5, Gravograph M40 Deep Vice with Gravostyle 7, a lot of interest, not a lot of imagination, and a serious shortfall of knowledge!

I use wood working squeeze clamps, wood spacers, leather spacers etc. I have even put the blade edge in the vise.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I use wood working squeeze clamps, wood spacers, leather spacers etc. I have even put the blade edge in the vise.
    Squeeze clamps and spacers? Hmmm, sounds like just the ticket. Maybe them in conjunction with a homemade wood slab as a foundation would work. The current sticky table would be too wide, I think.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate this. Paul+
    Paul Williams
    Epilog Zing 30watt with CorelDRAW X5, Gravograph M40 Deep Vice with Gravostyle 7, a lot of interest, not a lot of imagination, and a serious shortfall of knowledge!

Can you use play dough or a puddy that you could form to your object ?
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

1/2 thick piece of wood from lowes or Home Depot slid it under your blades to level them up. Can also use door shims stacked to level them
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Paul

I've had good luck cleaning Cermark stains with a slightly abrasive metal polish.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Paul,

U-marq has a jig for applications like that. Wonder if it could be adopted to M40 machine.
    Here is a link ...............https://www.u-marq.us/jigs
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Marquez View Post
    Can you use play dough or a puddy that you could form to your object ?
    Scott
    I can certainly give that a try. Thanks, Scott.
    Paul Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    1/2 thick piece of wood from lowes or Home Depot slid it under your blades to level them up. Can also use door shims stacked to level them
    That, along with Mike's earlier suggestion of clamps would do the job, I should think. Thanks, Keith.
    Paul Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Paul

I've had good luck cleaning Cermark stains with a slightly abrasive metal polish.
    Well, I have some Silvo and some Brasso. I can give them a try. Thanks again, Mike
    Paul Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Paul,

U-marq has a jig for applications like that. Wonder if it could be adopted to M40 machine.
    Here is a link ...............https://www.u-marq.us/jigs
    It's kinda hard to tell from their photo, in regards to how it is connected to the machine. I can give them a call on Tuesday and check. If it can attach, it looks good. Thanks Tony.
    Paul Williams

Hi Paul,
    Can you not get enough travel in your floating spindle to take up the height discrepancy.
    If your worried about varying depth of mark then maybe use the nose cone and apply a tape (masking) on area to be engraved to minimise drag scratches from the nose.
    Hope this helps somewhat.
    Phil.
    P.S. Are you rotary engraving or diamond dragging. Diamond is probably best.
    Last edited by Phil Vernon; 05-16-2015 at 6:20 PM.

Hi Phil. I tried both diamond dragging and rotary (since it was a stainless steel, as in a reworked old saw-blade, that I was cutting into). I think that my best bet might be to use my laser engraver to prepare a fixture to set the ulu into, with different depths for the stem of the knife and the handle, and leaving the blade itself level. I don't know why I didn't consider that earlier. Like it says... "not a lot of imagination". Thanks, though.
    Paul Williams