Thread: Ridgid 4512 and Grizzly G0771

Ridgid 4512 and Grizzly G0771

New guy back with a couple more questions. I'm learning lots on this site, but in general looking to upgrade my table saw as I'd like to get more into woodworking. Still looking at used saws, missed a couple of deals, but a new saw is starting to appeal to me.

The Ridgid 4512, seems like a good saw. HD price is like 549, but if they'll do the HF 20%, this looks like a good deal. Reading suggests some alignment issues, anyone know if these have been corrected? Who makes the saw today, I'm guessing I know the country its made in.

The Grizzly G0771 looks really good, to me, and I thought I read it has cabinet mounted trunnions, does this add up to anything for me? The Grizzly can also be set up for 220V, which I can get to my work area.

Finally, both saws look like a router table could be build/bought and give me a set up that I can use with the fence and avoid another piece of equipment that I don't have room for. My thinking make sense here?

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

I own the 4512. I got it for $450 Canadian from Home Depot. I consider it good value. Being in the US, you have access to Grizzly that I do not, i.e. reasonable shipping charges. The Grizzly is on sale for $625, making the decision tougher. Based on what I now know, I would go for the Grizzly when the price difference is that close.

What I like about the 4512. Motor is 110/220. Good dust collection. Riving knife. Adjustment for vertical alignment accomplished by the use of Allen keys in the table top. Mobility. T slts in Rip Fence for jigs.

What I don't like. Sloppy rip fence, needs to be manually be set before lock down. Easy to accidentally unlock rip fence while making a cut. Not a huge issue once you are aware. Hard to get inserts for a reasonable price (at least in Canada). I made my own dado insert.

Issues I do not have. Alignment issues. I assume you are talking about the blade canting after putting blade up. Does not on mine, and the posts I found on that are from some time ago. Two piece rip fence. Just not an issue for me.

I hope this helps your decision.

If you get a good one, the R4512 is a decent saw. Every time someone mentions the issue has been cured, I read of another....the same goes for the G0715P and 21833 that have the same issues, due to have nearly the same guts. It's too much of a crap shoot for my tastes. In this price range, the new Delta 36-725 seems to get better marks....better fence, cleaner track record.

The G0771 does have cabinet mounted trunnions, which are easier to reach and align. It also has solid cast wings, 15 amp motor, and a full enclosure....more mass, more power, better DC, better stability. The fence isn't awesome, but seems to be serviceable. It's a solid step up for another $200-$250. 220v has some potential benefits if it's available to you.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Im a 4512 owner, even though I upgraded to a Grizzly 8" planer and 15" jointer, I still have the saw.

I also was hesitant because of the alignment issue. I found a store with a few in stock, not sure if they are that common "in store" anymore.

First thing you do is open the box and check alignment, if it's not good, do not go through with the assembly and return the saw.

Mine was within 0.005" right out of the box. If it wouldn't of been, I would've just asked for another one until I found one good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    If you get a good one, the R4512 is a decent saw. Every time someone mentions the issue has been cured, I read of another....the same goes for the G0715P and 21833 that have the same issues, due to have nearly the same guts. It's too much of a crap shoot for my tastes. In this price range, the new Delta 36-725 seems to get better marks....better fence, cleaner track record.

The G0771 does have cabinet mounted trunnions, which are easier to reach and align. It also has solid cast wings, 15 amp motor, and a full enclosure....more mass, more power, better DC, better stability. The fence isn't awesome, but seems to be serviceable. It's a solid step up for another $200-$250. 220v has some potential benefits if it's available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    Im a 4512 owner, even though I upgraded to a Grizzly 8" jointer and 15" planer

Fixed it for ya.

The best threads on the 4512 suggest the newer saws have a different casting which cures the variation in angle with height. If you are seriously considering this saw, I would search to find the cutoff date and how to recognize the better casting. I believe the outside of the box has the date code. It is a heavy package to haul home and potentially have to return.

I have the earlier model Ridgid 3650. Good TS, lots to like. One thing I was not aware of when I bought it though was the short arbor on the saw. I can't mount a full dado set (13/16"). ~9/16" is max what I'm comfortable putting on there and still getting enough threads through the arbor nut to be safe. I don't know if all contractor saws are that way but I always like to raise this point up to someone shopping contractor or hybrids since I was a bit disappointed about it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks guys, great info. I also found a thread that discusses 1000 buck or less TS just above this one this AM. Couldn't find it searching last night though. Mike

You would really be better off to move to a used cabinet saw, if you can fit one in your shop. The Jet saws seem to go for your price range, and they are a definite step up from where you are looking. Or maybe a used Grizzly. I have seen a few on Craigslist and Nextech classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have the earlier model Ridgid 3650. Good TS, lots to like. One thing I was not aware of when I bought it though was the short arbor on the saw. I can't mount a full dado set (13/16"). ~9/16" is max what I'm comfortable putting on there and still getting enough threads through the arbor nut to be safe. I don't know if all contractor saws are that way but I always like to raise this point up to someone shopping contractor or hybrids since I was a bit disappointed about it.
    AFAIK, most contractor saws have close to the same length arbor. Many require that you remove the arbor washer to fit the entire stack on. This is a safe and commonly recommended practice as long as the nut is fully seated on the arbor.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-08-2015 at 3:03 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Best move is to buy a used Cabinet saw.

But, failing that, the G0771 is worth it over the Rigid. I bought the Grizzly about a month ago now and have no regrets. There simply weren't any used cabinet saws in the area for a reasonable price so I bought new from Grizzly. I really like it. I'll probably swap out the fence to a T2 or a Vega 40 in the near future though, but the stock one works fine for now.

Yeah, still watching CL, but used cabinet saws seem to go for more that I think I should pay. I hear of these 400 buck cabinet saws, but don't see them. Thanks for all the info.

I have the 4512 saw, had it for about 3 or 4 years. Got it when I replaced my Craftsman 10 inch saw. The 4512, so far, I have not had any problems with it, and I love it. I got it at Home Depot with a military discount for 450.00.