Thread: Laser Exhaust Suggestions?

Laser Exhaust Suggestions?

Looking for blower suggestions on a two laser setup.

Our current setup works well for engraving but we're starting to cut more now, and I'm noticing smoke in the cabinet indicating I need more flow.

Here is our current setup: 4" duct 20 foot in from the window connected to blower then another 14 foot of duct, y adapter, then another 6 foot to each of the 2 machines. So about 40' of 4" duct total, in-port on laser is 4" as well. Here is the blower we're using: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html\

Can you guys A) suggest a better blower for the 2 laser setup we're doing that will get that smoke out quicker?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Are you running the 5 micron collector also... or just the blower
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    That length of 4" duct is probably killing you with losses... I'm guessing there are twists/turns in there, too, which are the real problem children. You main run is ideally 6", shrinking to 4"right at each machine. Then, make sure your flow (CFM) is high enough.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

100 feet of 4 inch on a 1550 cfm max flow isn't going to make it will take a while to calculate the losses but a fan that size on a small diameter pipe like 4" over 100 feet, if you are getting 200 cfm at the end I'll be surprised
    You did what !

Hi Keith

Check out my system
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...raction-system

I am only running only one laser and I have 8" pipes. 4" looks like about half what you need as suggested. Will your blower fit an 8" pipe?

Another good thing is to get an air flow meter. They are only $40 or so. You can measure it like shown in my picture. Personally I would run one blower per laser as it will be quieter and more efficient. If you have speed control like I documented that is a big advantage. You can overclock those motors for the smoky jobs, or run them quiet for other jobs.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks for all the replies!

That is a great looking system Keith, I'll grab a meter too to measure! Mark I'm not sure even what the 5 micron collector is? I thought that was the bag which we don't use, we vent the other end out the window/wall

Some questions in response to you all:

1) My blower has a 6" port, each laser has a 4" port. I'd like to keep it two lasers per blower because I plan on adding another 2 lasers within the year. I don't want to have 4 blowers going but I can definitely upgrade the blower we have now if you think that's not enough? Suggestions?

2) If I moved up to a 6" pipe would that double my cpm? Should I just got ahead and go to a 8" vent even though it's only a 6" port on the blower, would I gain a significant cpm going from 6" to 8"?

3) Is it better to have to blower closer to the laser or in the middle between the in-take and output like we have it?

3)

One more question in addition to above, what about upgrading to a unit like this? http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1687-3-H.../dp/B001R23ST0 Would that be enough for our 2 current lasers + 2 more future lasers if I switched to 8" vent pipe and then 4" when it got to each machine? 40' length with 4 x 90 degree turns as assumed before?
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 05-06-2015 at 2:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    One more question in addition to above, what about upgrading to a unit like this? http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1687-3-H.../dp/B001R23ST0 Would that be enough for our 2 current lasers + 2 more future lasers if I switched to 8" vent pipe and then 4" when it got to each machine? 40' length with 4 x 90 degree turns as assumed before?
    Not at home right now and no reference books, but each 90 deg elbow is worth X ft of pipe. I am guessing at 25 ft per turn. Plus the friction loss in the straight pipe, flex duct has lot more loss. Your blower is more than likely rated at X cfm in free air, add some pipe, add some elbows and misl fittings and that rating in free air goes away pretty fast.
    General rule of thumb I have see used is keep the intake side pipe as short and free of loss as you can.
    I did not follow your link all the way, but if your using All laser machines at the same time, then the total cfm of the dust collector must equal what each machine needs. I wonder now if the 2800 cfm is a "free air" rating or what?
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-06-2015 at 8:53 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10