Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50 watt and 1/4" Alder laser cuts

Hey I just for the fun of it ran a test on the rabbit. I used 140# 300 gram acid free stock pretty heavy stuff as you know.
    I ran it at 3 different settings 60/15---80/20-----60/25 speed and power

60/15 cut out the rectangle almost 100% was a tiny little tab I had to pull. I could see a very very light tan on the edge with 225 pwr glasses on barley noticeable ,

80/20 didn't cut thru

60/25 cut it out 100% with a slightly darker tan around the edge and seriously you can stll barley see this tan edge .

I have no doubt that with a little more tweak like maybe 60 / 22 you would have no edge color at all and Like I said the way it is you have to strain to see it anyway.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Just to jump in here & not having the experience of many of these fine folks.

I have a Gwieke & have used it go cut paper & cardstock (though normally not used for this), you can get an acceptable cut on the heavier stock but when you go down to finer paper my Chenese laser will only fire at a min of 12-13% power... So it ceases to fine tune right there. Better probably on a 60 W, but there is a limitation there.

On Chinese laser... For most it certainly pays to have North American based support... Just to reiterate what Dave says most Chinese factories don't have much...it may help on some things but not others. I just helped a fellow out who got his Chinese laser ...great deal from a company I had never heard of...everything worked fine. Went to fix something, all of a sudden no one spoke good enough English.. Support is everything on these machines. We're I to do this over again I suspect I would buy elsewhere. Rabbit would be at the top of my list, simply because of the support from Ray & company. ( It takes years to earn that kind of reputation in this field....about 30 seconds with a slow internet link to loose one)

On on the other hand I since bought a Trotec, which is phenomenal with paper ... But not what you are looking for. Good luck with your choice.

bob
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

I have a Rabbit 6090 laser as well and i can honestly say I would reccomend it and the service from Rabbit. I have been running it for 10 months now and couldn't be happier. My only complaint is I do wish it was faster, but it is due to being a Chinese machine vs an American or European. If I was to get busier with business I would buy another!
    Last edited by Patrick Smithwick; 05-10-2015 at 9:03 AM.

My suggestion would to be go with as much laser as you can afford unless this is just a hobby. You'll never regret having more power. You might also decide to do more items in the future that will require more power. About 75-80w is the sweet spot I think. 60 would be pretty good too 50 is borderline.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Keith one of his main jobs will be paper and I think if he goes over 60 watts he's going to have a hard time getting a good edge on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    My suggestion would to be go with as much laser as you can afford unless this is just a hobby. You'll never regret having more power. You might also decide to do more items in the future that will require more power. About 75-80w is the sweet spot I think. 60 would be pretty good too 50 is borderline.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander