Thread: Some primitive stone tools and a very old axe.

Blog Entries

Some primitive stone tools and a very old axe.

My friend and co-pirate with whom I treasure hunt was excited to show me some new finds. One is this early axe head found in the Lesser Antilles near the ruin of a sugar plantation which towards the end of the 1700's was shut down. You can clearly see where one piece of iron was folded over itself to form the head.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Next up are Indian artifacts found in Panama. My friend was calling them axe heads, but I immediately recognized these as adze heads, two of which are perfectly rounded for (I suspect) making bowls. My very large hands and a pen are in the pics for size reference. The edges are still sharp(ish) on the rounded ones. The flat ones were likely discarded due to being chipped and show a lot of wear. They were very smoothly polished and had very fine edges- not chipped like an arrowhead but almost looked ground and polished.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Finally, one of the most beautiful arrowheads I have ever seen, part of a collection by his father. Identity or authenticity cannot be verified, but it is full of color.
    image.jpg

Wow you're not kidding about the "old" part!

The top two pics. look like users to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    The top two pics. look like users to me.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Perfect opportunity to test your sharpening skills............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Perfect opportunity to test your sharpening skills............
    Users? ...

Blog Entries
    I was actually thinking the round adze was the best user of the bunch. I want to try to make a bowl with it.

I have an old ax that belonged to Abraham Lincoln. The handle has been replaced three times and the ax head has been replaced twice!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Are you sure that some of those aren't very ancient shark's teeth? What was the sharks predecessor? The huge megaladon?

Blog Entries
    I see what you are seeing but they are stone. The pointy end is rough hewn, and the business end is perfectly smooth. Really amazing what they did with "primitive" tools (in quotes because I believe they were much more advanced than we give them credit.)

Fossils ARE stone. Not sure about shark's teeth,but,as you know,ancient bones,wood,etc. were replaced by minerals seeping in.

I just have not seen stone tools shaped like those,nor so consistently shaped. Not that I am an expert on ancient stone tools,mind you. I prefer the tool steel ones!

What amazes me the most are the accurate and artistic images of animals seen on a few ancient cave walls. Then,by comparison,you also see primitive,barely recognizable images of people and animals seen elsewhere. A few of those ancients could really draw.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-06-2015 at 9:43 AM.

By now I Googled megaladon teeth,and they still look like recognizable shark type teeth. So,I don't know what to think of your adze/axe heads. They do not look like any images of those tools that I have been able to find. They(my images)aren't that tapered. Perhaps they are some other type of tool?