Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBN B-gone

Blog Entries
    I have the newer Delta grinder. My D-Way wheel seems to take up a little more arbor length than my WoodTurner's Wonders wheel, with the double washer wobble adjuster. Not sure if Ken made a change to his wheels or Dave just uses thicker washers. I know that when I bought my wheel from Ken he was making some changes to his wheel designs and he was aware of the issue of shorter arbors on newer machines. The bolts on both wheels have threads that the arbor has not engaged, just one or two more on the D-Way. Then it could be that my Delta arbor is different lengths on either side of the wheel. I made a post about buying another grinder. One of the reasons being the short arbor length. On my machine I have not found a way to get the arbor out past the outside edge of either wheel nut. I talked to Dave about the nut not being threaded entirely onto the arbor. He seemed to think I had plenty of engaged thread, still makes me a little nervous. Is there any way to be sure if any issues with CBN wheels are the result of the wheels or the grinders, short of buying a Baldor Low Speed hand tuned grinder from Tools for Working Wood?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-06-2015 at 9:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    I just did a little research on the Tools For Working Wood "Gramercy Custom Tuned Baldor Bench Grinders" page. A major part of their tuning package is regrinding all four flanges on both sides. Everyone seems to acknowledge the issue of the washers or flanges used to hold the wheels in position not necessarily being precisely made. I understand from the vendors I have talked to that companies making wheels and grinders outsource their washers/flanges. The Gramercy offering attempts to remedy this issue. Although the cost of hand grinding 8 surfaces may be high, I think it sheds light on a major issue. Any ideas where we might find big hand ground flanges made to exacting tolerances like the ones Gramercy tunes?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.

I have heard of one or two cases where the wheels were not true. Given the numbers that have been made and sold, this is not unexpected. I did find with my wheels on my Baldor, that if I used the cheap big box store washers to space it away from the inside of the wheel guard, I would get some wobble in the wheels till they got up to speed, then the face ran true. Not sure about the sides as I never use that feature. I have one of the old blue no name grinders that Woodcraft used to sell. It is slow to come up to speed, and has more of a wobble in it. It still runs pretty true, but not as smooth as the Baldor. They are D Way wheels. I haven't tried the wheels from Ken Rizza. I have too many sets of wheels as is.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried the "Razor Sharp Edgemaking" wheels that Woodcraft seems to be so sold on? It says they are laminated paper, one for rough work and one for buffing. They say they run much cooler. They offer a kit with a grinding wheel, a buffing wheel, silicon carbide, grease, and jewelers rouge for $56.99.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-06-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!
    Does anyone use their CBN wheels to sharpen drill bits on a regular basis? Has anyone had problems with the wheels loading up from this?

Bruce

I have sharpened just about every thing on my CBN wheels. I just got done touching up some drill rod that is not hardened yet. No loading. Same with bench chisels and drill bits. Cold rolled steel will clog it up, same with aluminum, brass, copper, and some stainless steels.

robo hippy

I emailed Dave at D-Way, and he said that he has never heard of anybody "wearing out" a CBN wheel. He said that he still uses the same wheels that he started with 7 years ago. So, as many of you suggested, I have probably loaded mine up with cold rolled steel while fabricating some of my hollowing tools. I used my old grinder and wheels for most of it but probably used my CBN for some fine tuning. Dave suggested reversing the wheel and grinding a large scraper to try unloading. Tomorrow, I'm going to try power washing my wheel to see if that does any good. So far, it still seems quite smooth.

Dave also mentioned that he uses his 80 grit wheel for his bowl gouges. I'm going to start doing that, too. I'll use my 180 grit for 1/4" gouges and hollowing tips.

Regarding the suggestion that I may be able to resurface the wheel. Dave said that the CBN material is simply too hard to remove for resurfacing to be feasible.

I can't attest to how well they work, but Packard Woodworks advertises CBN cleaning sticks, which will apparently help with restoring (to some degree?) your CBN wheel.

When researching my article that I wrote on CBN wheels, I talked to Brad Packard about the cleaning stick. They are intended for the matrix type CBN wheels, not the electroplated CBN wheels. Article is up on my web site, www.robohippy.net I can't remember if I wrote about that cleaning stick or not. Similar to the very hard aluminum oxide wheel that I used on my first wheels before the plated wheels were available to us.

robo hippy

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I wonder if that carburetor cleaner spray would work?

Dave Schweitzer said he has used oven cleaner. The problem with a loaded wheel is the softer steels are kind of bound to the wheel, and a solvent generally does not remove them. That type of loading can not be dissolved. Ken Rizza did comment that he has used kerosene. I can see that it might lubricate the wheel, and maybe get under the loaded metal and help loosen it up so when you take a scraper to it, it may come off easier. Never tried it though. Cindy Drozda had a clip up on You Tube where she was using a paint brush with oil on it to keep the old Woodriver (Woodcraft brand) diamond matrix wheel clean. I don't know if a hard Aluminum oxide might clean off the bound metal on the CBN wheels without removing some of the CBN.

Well, I had to try the AlO out... It did clean off the sludge from wet wood on my wheels, and didn't effect the cutting action at all that I could tell. Just went back to the shop and loaded a bit of cold rolled steel on my 180 grit wheel. Not a heavy loading, but you could hear it 'ticking' and when I turned the grinder off, I could see minimal build up as shiny spots on the wheel. If you have ground soft steel on the wheels, you will recognize the sound. I applied the hard AlO to the wheel, then took a scraper to it, and it seemed to be clean. So, maybe that will clean up the wheel, though I would not suggest it as something you want to do on a regular basis. Probably any old grinding wheel could work, especially one that you aren't going to use any more, or one of the clean up sticks from Packard. This was just a one time test, so 'individual results may vary'. Since the wheel no longer cuts, you don't have anything to loose I guess.

robo hippy