Thread: Wiring problem

Wiring problem

Hi - I just bought a used King planer, KC 38 (also known CT-380C) with a 2 hp motor, single phase. The guy I bought from seem to have changed the wiring - had it plugged 220 but with 3 wires, black white ground. I want to wire this for 4 wires. My garage is wired for 4 - all my machines work on 220.

I read other articles and followed what they wrote for a similar problem. I melted my starting motor capacitor - LOL.

Question: 1) Can this motor (has 4 wires) be plugged to handle a 4 wire cable? I removed the wiring panel and set up the wires for 220.
    2) The power switch is also set for 3 wires - can this be used for the 4 wire?
    3) The reason I bought this planer is to use at my cottage which has not electricity so I want the planer to run on a champion 5500 generator - can this be done? It has a plug to 120/240 volt.
    4) Would it be a better idea to buy a new motor 3 hp and 3 phase? Or is the single phase okay?

I live in Quebec Canada and know very little about electricity except it goes BOOM when things a badly wired!

-Michel

Sounds like your shop may be wired for 3 phase. If this is the case any 2 of the 220v phases will give you 220v single phase plus a ground makes 3 wires. If you aren't sure, get professional help so nothing gets fried - including you!

You only need three wires for a 220V single phase motor load. Two hots and a ground. The forth wire is a neutral which is used for 110V loads (like a clothes dryer - the heating elements are 220V and the motor and controls are 110V).
    With your limited electrical knowledge you should really get some knowledgeable help for making these type of installations.

You only need 4 wires if the machine has both 120V and 240V circuits (like a clothes dryer which uses 240V but also has a 120V light bulb inside it). Your outlets may be wired with 4 wires, but you are certainly only using 3 of them for any 240V woodworking machines. It is totally OK to connect only 3 of the 4 prongs on the plug. Not sure where you got the idea that you need 4 wires - the machine only needs 3.

That said, you should hire a professional for this.

I will do as you all suggested - I will hire an electrician. I do not mind working with 110 but 220 scares me and I do not understand it.

I guess I will ask the electrician to fix it up to work on the generator too. That is my main goal - I already have another planer 3hp but it weighs 750 lbs - to heavy to bring back and forth to cottage.

Thx all