Thread: San Antonio, TX Lumber Yard Recommendations?

Question San Antonio, TX Lumber Yard Recommendations?

Any San Antonio, TX or nearby woodworkers have any insight to share on the lumber yards here? Strengths and weaknesses, i.e. Hardwoods, Dimensional, Exotic, Domestic, Sheets Goods, etc?

This is the list I have:

Alamo Hardwoods
    Allen & Allen (Been here once, decent selection of domestics not sure about prices)
    DixiePly (I believe they are only a wholesaler)
    Dakota Hardwoods (Woodcraft employees recommend this place 9/10 times)
    Hardwoods Inc
    Roddis Lumber & Veneer (Seem to be one of few places that carries Baltic Birch but only BB/BB grade and lower)
    Woodco
    Cedar Creek
    Paxton

Any advice/experiences are welcome. Also be nice to see how many San Antonio woodworkers frequent Sawmillcreek.

Thanks!

Dakota Hardwoods is by far my favorite. They have selection of hardwood, plywood, and hardware at consistently good prices. Alamo is a great place for exotics or for that one special board for a project -- but they are expensive!
    --Mike Roberts

Have much experience with Roddis for plywoods? Also do you ever buy B/BB Baltic Birch? All the yards here only seem to carry BB/BB so Woodcraft is the only place to purchase it.
    Last edited by Andrew Ulsher; 05-01-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

I do buy from Roddis on occasion when Dakota doesn't have a specialty plywood that I need. The only Baltic I've used has been from Dakota. I'm not sure what grade it is, but it had the football shaped patches on both sides. I'm not a big fan of the 5x5 format, so I don't use it very often.
    --Mike Roberts