Thread: Need resaw help in south western CT

Need resaw help in south western CT

Hello, are there any creekers in south western CT that want to show off their resaw capabilities? I have a piece of spalted maple that is approximately 7" x 14" x 3/4" that I would like to resaw into two panels but I don't have the tools to do it. I live in an apartment and the local community shop has a bandsaw that's only capable of turning perfectly good wood into scraps! I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd appeal to the generosity of my fellow CT creekers and see if anyone had a sweet resaw set up they were willing to share. Thanks for your consideration. Darren
    spalted small.jpg

I'm up in lower northwest Connecticut, I have a 20" saw with 12 3/8" re saw capacity that does quite well, you are welcomed to do it at my shop if you want to make the drive , I'm about 40 minutes north of Norwalk, just above Danbury. Pm me if this is of interest to make arrangements.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Darren,

Have you contacted the Woodworker's Store (Woodcraft) in Norwalkr? They have a full workshop open to the public on their second floor.I do not know the quality of their band saw. If their band saw is not appropriate perhaps, John, the owner, can put you in touch with some of his customers who are local.

Hi Paul,

The Woodworkers Club is the community shop I was referring to in my post. I use it all the time. Some of their tools are great, the bandsaws not so much. I know it's too much too expect a community shop to have a bandsaw that is tuned well enough to get a nice resaw, thus my appeal to private owners. Peter has generously offered to help.

Thanks,

Darren

5. Hi, Peter. If the offer still stands, I'd also like to take advantage of this. I have roughly a dozen figured maple slabs around 2" thick and up to 12" wide that I got to create bookmatched tops for electric guitars. Ideally, I'd like to slice them into ~1/4" thick pieces. My old bandsaw can do only 6". I was planning on running over to Woodworkers, but I see that would be a waste of my time. I'm not in any rush, but would like to be able to get that out of the way some time this fall. I'm in Wilton. Thank you!! (I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full)

Hey Darren & Devin, Just add me to the list if you need some help. I have a Laguna LT18 at my shop in Milford. Bob

And I have a 17 inch saw with 12 inch resaw capability and I am in Katonah, NY - - not too far if that works for you.

Russ

I cleared up my inbox, didn't realize it was full, I'd be glad to help, I'm also a guitar player, be great to help in that endeavor. Pm me and we can exchange particulars, maybe a quick phone call to schedule. The shop tour and meet up with Darren was great fun. I have 12 3/8" resaw height.

Good job guys. This is what it's all about. I live in Arizona so if you're ever around you can use my band saw too! Mainly just glad to see everyone reach out to help.

10. Awesome. Thank you so much guys. I'm pretty swamped the next month or so, so hopefully we can meet up in a month or so. Really grateful for your help.

Sounds good to me. I'll keep checking back, give me a pm when your ready

12. So, I just wanted to give a public shout out to Russ, who was generous enough to invite me over to his place last week to knock out some resawing. I probably spent about 4 hours there. Aside from being a really nice guy, Russ gave me a real education about woodworking (I'm an amateur know-nothing, frankly) and taught me all about his passion, which is making bows and arrows. Amazing work!! What did I learn about myself? Well, that I can't re-saw for sh*t. I think I was able to get through 3 blocks out of the 12-15 I have. What a mess I made of some of them. Hoping my soon-to-be thickness sander (which I miraculously made a lot of progress on during my vacation) can rescue the pieces. Not sure what I was thinking that I'd get through any more than that. haha. Then again, at my pace, I may not need to resaw any more pieces for about 20 years...

Also cool, is that Russ and I are both PSU grads. We are both not happy today, for sure, after last night's Rose Bowl.

Anyway, very grateful for Russ' help and that there are such helpful people on this forum to us newbie nitwits.

Devin is both right and wrong at the same time!!!!!! I am kinda bummed about PSU blowing a 14 point lead the the 4th, but he is wrong when he says he cant resaw sh*t - he did just fine - he just did not initially realize that a 6/4 board can not be resawed into 6 quarter inch slices, and that all slices are not exactly pipe straight like on a table saw. Also, while the new machine you are building will be awesome, I'm sure, you will be able to work those slices fairly easily if you spend some time practicing with a bench plane. IMO.

Hopefully, Devin, you have enough to keep you busy for a while. Please post some pics of the guitars you will be making. As I said, you are welcome to come back any time you need to. Happy New Year!!!!

Russ

Hi all. I know the re-saw request has been taken care of but reading this post makes me appreciate being a member of this community. I'm in Fairfield, CT and I'd be happy to help any fellow local members in the future to the extent that my ability and my tools allow.

(or we can just meet at the Lumberyard Pub in Redding and talk about woodworking!)

-Ron