Thread: Grizzly bandsaw - question, and coupons?

Grizzly bandsaw - question, and coupons?

I have been debating buying a Grizzly bandsaw - the issue is that our dollar is about 20 percent less valuable than it used to be, so the prices aren't as great as they were in the past. I think I'm still leaning toward replacing my old Delta BS150LS saw - a 10"machine. Does anyone have a coupon that I might be able to use? I have to get it shipped to Canada, so the free shipping deal doesn't apply...

I was also wondering which saw to get - either the 555LX or the 555P. I think the main difference is the cast wheels - but which saw is the better choice?

Thanks!
    Andrew

I'll take that as a 'no' to the coupon, and that people are weary of discussing bandsaws!

Well I'm new here so I'm not tired to talking about band saws.

I have Grizzly's G0513X2BF That's a 17" with cast iron wheels and an electronic brake. Had it for about three years and it's the only band saw I've ever owned. Being a hobby woodworker I can't say I've cut thousands of feet of lumber, but I use it almost every time I'm in the shop and ripped all the fir for a Roubo style workbench--much safer than the table saw.

It cuts well. Right now I have a ½" 3 or 4 TPI Timberwolf blade in and can cut as tight a radius as I have wanted to for more than a year. When I have needed to, blade changes are easy. The hard part was learning how to coil the unused blades.

I was a little disappointed in the dust collection. I have a 6" drop at the saw which splits into two 4" hoses to the upper and lower ports, all of which connect to a 2 HP Grizzly G0440 dust collector with plenty of suction. I still get some saw dust on the table, but not really a lot.

I've found adjusting the guides a bit of a chore as the blade guard gets in the way and has to be removed to be able to see the guides. But the guides are roller bearings, which I think is the best.

Tracking has never been a problem and tension is easy to adjust, especially with the quick release lever. I have a note at the door to remind me to release the tension when I leave the shop for anytime more than overnight. I've heard comments that that is not necessary, but it's so easy and why not do it if it will prolong the life of the tires.

About the only thing that I could wish for is a light. I've added a magnet light that runs on batteries and I've forgotten to turn it off so often...

Happy to answer specific questions if you have any

Can't help ya with the coupon, but I will say that cast wheels are definitely better.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

No coupon.

The 0555lanv is in my garage now. Works great with a new blade on it. Plan on replacing, or never even installing the stock blade.

My biggest problem with it is that you have to take the fence rail off to take the table off, and it is very difficult to change blades because the fence rails are in the way. Hard to explain, but it sucks.

Definitely get one with cast wheels. And if you plan on doing any sort of resawing, buy the riser block and install it immediately. I have the 555LANV.

Mine is the 0555LX. I'm well pleased with it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have the G0555LANV. It is an excellent saw, easy set-up, easy to operate and maintain. Keep good sharp blades, tension correctly you will have no problems.