Thread: Met a couple of Creeker's today!

Met a couple of Creeker's today!

Me, my wife and her father went to the 72nd annual Craftsman's Fair sponsored by The League of New Hampshire Craftsman today and met up with a couple pf creekers and really was treated to some real fine woodcrafts at their juried show!

Dave Anderson and Roger Myers - and they are real great guys. Had a real good talk with them and was treated to a few fine turning demonstrations at the Guild of NH woodworker's tent and put in for their raffle for some extraordinary pieces made by members of the guild and the proceeds go to further the craft through education.

Jim Becker - Roger's 18th century reproduction Pipe Box is even more fantastic in person than his picture in Roger's post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22906 He did a fantastic job and I hope I win it so I can keep such a wonderful piece. They had a real nice shaker table and other items that were just as nice.

AI got to handle some of Dave A's great works of art - his little plane he just finished, a plane adjusting hammer (with a wood face and brass face) - and some of his most excellent marking knives (gotta order me at least 1 of those) they are fantastic and man are they sharp!

These guys and the other members of the NH Woodworkers Guild that were on hand are real nice guys that do some real excellent work and they were full of great suggestions and tips for bowl turning - I could really learn a lot from these guys. Ronald Pouliot was turning some green Cherry and showed us a lot of green turning tips and a lot of finishing advice (his finishes were awesome - crystal clear and no sanding or machine marks anywhere)

I met an old fellow who has turned for nearly 60 years Robert Pearson, his burl turnings are just fantastic! I also spent about 1-1/2 hours watching some demonstrations by a fantastic turner Dusty Coates. He made some burl lidded mushroom boxes and some of the most fantastic miniature goblets about 1/2" diameter and about 1" long with a captive ring on the stem of some. He aslo showed us some of his super miniature goblets and tops the largers was about 1/2" long and the smallest about 3/16" and he had them in a test tube. Wow was that a great demonstration.

As you can tell I had a great time and if there is anyone that is going to be near the Lakes Region of New Hampshire this week and next weekend. Do yourself a huge favor and go to this show! It was fantastic!

I had a great time meeting Dave & Roger - it has been the highlight of my summer so far!!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Sounds like a wonderful time, Kurt! And I have no doubt that little piece by Roger is top-notch...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Man and to think I was tied up in Bow all weekend. I would have loved to go to Sunapee for this. Ahhh well vacation is vacation.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

4. I was there with the wife and kids. Had fun seeing some bowl turning demos. Kids got inpatient but loved the ski lift ride.

It was great to meet you Kurt. I just wish we had more time to visit. The first 2 days of the fair were fantastic with very good attendance and the weather cooperated. Our scholarship fund raffle raised over $1150 in the first 2 days alone and if we don't have any rainy days we should have a record this year. I'll be back there again Friday through Sunday either doing demos or selling raffle tickets. If anyone is in the area drop by and introduce yourself.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH