Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Texting while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Me too! I absolutely HATE to text!
    I really don't know why these things called "SmartPHONES" even have the word phone in the name. Most people under the age of 35 hardly ever use the phone feature. I asked one of the younger colleagues here at work when was the last time he actually used his as a phone. He couldn't say for sure, but he thought it might have been 2 weeks ago, when his mom called.

I just don't get the big attraction of texting over voice. It just seem so impersonal to me. Why in the world would you want to text someone, when you could actually talk to them? It is a much slower form of communication, and how do you know you are communicating with the person you think you are? I can't tell you how many times SWMBO has texted back and forth with one of our children on my phone pretending she was me. My kids think I text them all the time.

I know all the young people are just rolling their eyes right now, thinking about how out of touch with reality I am. One of these days I will die off (probably killed by a texting driver) and you won't have to listen to my rantings. That will be just in time for you to take my place, with your rantings about how great things were back in 2015 when we had cell phone.
    The thing is, the original dinosaurs were clueless to their pending demise. At least you can see yours. LOL

I just don't get the big attraction of texting over voice. It just seem so impersonal to me. Why in the world would you want to text someone, when you could actually talk to them? It is a much slower form of communication,
    Well, that was the original intent, I think. I'm not a huge texter, I don't even have a text plan, so it costs me money to text, outside of the apple network, but I think done right, texts can be fantastic. Your wife wants to tell you to pick up something on the way home from work and instead of bothering you at work, she can send a text message and you can read it when it's convenient for you.

Now, if people used it like that, it would be different

Just this morning on the way to work, my light turned green, I did a u-turn, only to see a car coming from another direction sitting about 5 cars back from the light, with a line of cars behind it, and the driver looking down. Everyone say there and no one beeped their horn, so they all missed the light. I beeped my horn and they looked up, realized what they had done and pulled up to the light.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have had a cell phone since 89 and only use it for emergencies. I bought it as a convenience for when I had my business. Back then phone minutes were high I think I paid like 52 cents a minute but that saved me a lot as I was in buildings that didn't have phone lines yet. Now it is just habit to carry it.

That will be just in time for you to take my place, with your rantings about how great things were back in 2015 when we had cell phone.
    Actually, Larry, you are correct. Current studies on brain to brain communication. Boy, don't we all need that. You're sitting in the back of your robocar, minding your own business, when the wife buzzes you up to complain about the cost of your new golf autoclubs . . . and you can't hang up, or pretend that the signal isn't good, or anything else . . . she's right there inside your head. Ah, then we will wish for the good old days of smart phones.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...ble-180954948/
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 04-27-2015 at 2:16 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Well, that was the original intent, I think. I'm not a huge texter, I don't even have a text plan, so it costs me money to text, outside of the apple network, but I think done right, texts can be fantastic. Your wife wants to tell you to pick up something on the way home from work and instead of bothering you at work, she can send a text message and you can read it when it's convenient for you.

Now, if people used it like that, it would be different
    Gospel truth right there! My assistant at work is polite texter. It's worse than trying to hang up the phone with your grandma. Typical conversation.
    I'm on my way. Do y'all want biscuits?
    Yes.
    What kind? (We ALWAYS get the same kind)
    The usual.
    Okay.
    Thanks.
    Welcome.

I'm stuck in the drive thru so I'll be a few late.
    Okay.
    Thanks. See you soon.

We could have had that conversation in less than 2 minutes. And the thing that drives me the craziest is that we are having the conversation while she is driving on the interstate with her 3 year old in the back seat.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

MMmmmm biscuits.... Hardee's? Bojangles? Ummm.....now I'm hungry.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    MMmmmm biscuits.... Hardee's? Bojangles? Ummm.....now I'm hungry.
    Years ago, before Bojangles came to Savannah, I was a die hard Bojangles girl from my days of living in Augusta. Somewhere between me leaving Augusta, and Bojangle's coming to Savannah, they changed their cooking oil to some of that "healthy" stuff that tastes nasty and leaves you feeling like you've been eating wax (best way I know to describe it). So, right now I'm a Hardee's girl. Now mind you, this isn't an every day thing. There is a pattern to it that she thinks I haven't figured out. If she is running late already, she asks about biscuits, so then she has an excuse for being late. When she returns from maternity leave in May, and has a 3 year old and a new born, I'm guessing I'm going to be eating a lot of biscuits. Sorry, didn't mean to veer from the original intent. I now return you to your originally scheduled programming.

Bella Terra

I too am a dinosaur. I have a dumb phone issued by my job and have turned down invitations to upgrade to a smart phone. I don't text at all and in fact had texting disabled when I got the phone 6 years ago to replace an earlier model. I do have voicemail and use it. To me a phone of any kind is an intrusion into my way of life. I sit on a computer much of each day at work and find that with a combination of emails, video conferencing, and actually talking on the phone I accomplish all that needs to be done.

When I get home my phone gets turned off and I'll catch any voicemails the next morning. I have no desire to be available 24/67 even to family members. Yes, I'm out of step with the modern world and I like it like that.

I teach a hand tools use class every other month for our NH guild. My warnings to class members are infamous. Cell phones off or on vibrate. No texting, no talking on the phone. Class members are warned at the beginning that they will be asked to leave and not return if the phone rings or they decide to text. I'm a volunteer, my classes are free to members and guests and I do not have to, and will not put up with rudeness. At first I got some strange looks when explaining my policy but everyone seems to be fine with it now. In fact, I think that it was a relief to most of the group.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I too am a dinosaur. I have a dumb phone issued by my job and have turned down invitations to upgrade to a smart phone. I don't text at all and in fact had texting disabled when I got the phone 6 years ago to replace an earlier model. I do have voicemail and use it. To me a phone of any kind is an intrusion into my way of life. I sit on a computer much of each day at work and find that with a combination of emails, video conferencing, and actually talking on the phone I accomplish all that needs to be done.

When I get home my phone gets turned off and I'll catch any voicemails the next morning. I have no desire to be available 24/67 even to family members. Yes, I'm out of step with the modern world and I like it like that.

I teach a hand tools use class every other month for our NH guild. My warnings to class members are infamous. Cell phones off or on vibrate. No texting, no talking on the phone. Class members are warned at the beginning that they will be asked to leave and not return if the phone rings or they decide to text. I'm a volunteer, my classes are free to members and guests and I do not have to, and will not put up with rudeness. At first I got some strange looks when explaining my policy but everyone seems to be fine with it now. In fact, I think that it was a relief to most of the group.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. When I leave work I don't want to hear a phone ring. I have a landline for my parents to reach me when I am home, partially because I just like having it, and partially because they have trouble hearing me if I call from my cell. I am an expert at ignoring phones that belong to me. On the rare occasion I do any sort of teaching I issue one warning, usually the first thing out of my mouth, and that's it. I have been known to actually walk away from people if they insist on taking a phone call while in a conversation with me - unless it is from one of their young children or some other such possible emergency. I really, really like not being connected. My drive time is my regroup and relax time. I can't imagine feeling the need to text or talk for the entire drive home.

Bella Terra

I've had a not-too-popular idea about phones and driving for years:

Aside from 911 calls, make cell phones NOT WORK above 8 mph. You won't even be able to talk on a bicycle. Which is fine with me.
    But okay to make 'em work above 220mph. Then they'll work on airplanes...

But the outcry I always get: "But what about the passengers??"

Too bad. There's 720 minutes in a day. There's nothing so important that 2 or 3 of those minutes can't be spent locating a place to STOP to use your stupid phone.

If you don't have time to pull over to talk safely, then your priorities are screwed up. Just my opinion...

There's a Chevy commercial on lately, and I absolutely cringe at the girl who says:
    "It's a dream to have WIFI in the car!"

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Kent

On the personal side;
    I probably have another 4-6 months before the Doc gives me the green light to do any wood working. As soon as I'm done rehabbing the right shoulder, they're going to go in and fix the left.
    Dude - this is eerie - my right shoulder started hurting 4 months ago..went to the top Ortho guys in Atlanta - I have frequent flyer miles with them - turns out that the muscle from the arm to the clavicle got injured somehow, sometime, tore, separated, and it not even there today. 30 days and they go in to reroute muscles in the general area to replace/simulate it.........."6 weeks immobilized, followed by months of rehab"..........

You and I should hook up and do our simulation of the Rev War guys - drum, fife, crutch, bandages......

I can bang a drum left handed. You?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    My warnings to class members are infamous. Cell phones off or on vibrate. No texting, no talking on the phone. Class members are warned at the beginning that they will be asked to leave and not return if the phone rings or they decide to text.
    If that is the one-and-only thing they remember from the class when they get home, you done good, Dave.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    As has been said, having a phone at your constant beck and call is becoming the norm, not the exception. Just look around. It is as addictive as smokes or booze. I don't see that changing, so we need to learn to accept it and learn to deal with it in a safe manner. It is not just my 15 year old granddaughter, it is her grandmother. Take her phone away and you would think you cut off her right arm. Texting, scrabble with a dozen friends and relatives (I had no idea either of my boys would play scrabble online with their mother). Surfing Facebook and her knitting forums. Ask a random question and she looks up the answer on Google (OK she was a librarian). All day. She would much rather text than talk on the phone. Before she gets out of bed, she is surfing on her smart phone, checking weather, emails, games and so on. I get her old iPhone every two years when she is eligible for a new one. I charge mine every other day, she has to charge hers at least once a day. Frankly, it sounds like I am complaining, but she loves it so much I wouldn't have it any other way.

My son is an otherwise excellent driver and has keeps his old CDL active, but drives me nuts when he drives and texts. I can't ground him, he is 42 now. At least he uses the voice command to text which I am sure helps a little. I have absolutely no problem making texting and driving illegal.

Why text you ask? Because you can send a text without worrying if they are at the phone or if it is a bad time, you know a brief message has been sent. You have a record of it. You can attach a photo. You can send the same message to several persons. You don't have to worry about getting dragged into a long conversation. A text can be as simple as a simple acknowledgment like "K" or "loaf of bread", it is not a long conversation.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-28-2015 at 1:13 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Why text you ask? Because you can send a text without worrying if they are at the phone or if it is a bad time, you know a brief message has been sent. You have a record of it. You can attach a photo. You can send the same message to several persons. You don't have to worry about getting dragged into a long conversation. A text can be as simple as a simple acknowledgment like "K" or "loaf of bread", it is not a long conversation.
    All of that is well and good, I suppose. But it is still so incredibly impersonal. You may have a record of it, but did the person on the receiving end really receive it? Or was it someone else pretending to be the person you are wanting to communicate with? How do I really know that Ole and not his Smartphone addicted grandmother is the one reading and responding to this thread?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Texting has it's place but not while driving!

On the down side of texting.......... in Mattoon, IL yesterday, a 7 year old boy was hit by a car and died after being transported to the Carle Clinic in Champaign. The 17 year old driver was cited as it is believed by police she was texting when she struck the child......
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-28-2015 at 9:30 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....