Thread: Knife Hinge Installation

Knife Hinge Installation

Hello all,

I'm installing knife hinges for the first time and need a little help. I have the leaves installed in the door and was about to mark out for the leaves in the case when a little voice in the back of my head said" Dude, if you don't leave some clearance behind the door, is it going to bind? If it does, you're hosed!". So do I need to leave clearance behind the door when marking out for the leaves in the case? I installed the leaves in the door with the hinge pin centered on the edge or the door, that is half on, half off. Hope that's right. Doh!
    knife hinges small.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

There should be a gap of 1/16 between the door and the cabinet with the hinge centered on the door.

Now looking at your door the end of the hinge should be flush with the door.
    Last edited by Don Jarvie; 04-18-2015 at 9:20 PM.
    Don

It will all depend on hinge placement and door thickness. You should try a mock-up on scrap. Here's a sketch of the door swinging open with a 1/16" gap behind the door, and a pivot point 3/16" from back edge of door (3/4" door). It clears without any back bevel. You could close up that 1/6" gap a whisker, or move the hinge to change the pivot location. (Sketchup is great for working out the geometry---without the math-- in these situations)

Pivot Hinge 4-19-15.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Miner; 04-20-2015 at 2:56 AM.