Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Head Strat Neck - In Birdseye

Yeah, the way Fender does it makes a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Yeah, the way Fender does it makes a mess.
    Fender seems to have a lot of odd practices.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Another slow boat to China...

Someday, I'm gonna be a bass neck...

Lazarus has been resurrected. A couple of days ago I pulled the neck out, looking just like the picture taken above. I needed a break from home remodeling. I cut the head thickness down to 1/2" and next thing I know I'm shaping the back of the neck. Rasps and spokshaves mostly. Now it's ready for finish. I'm glad I dug up this thread and re-read it. I had the same questions back then I had now except now they are all answered.

I had to re-sand the fretboard. The only way to explain it is to say some of the bird's eyes had swollen so the surface was no longer smooth.

With a little nitro, it's coming along. Time will tell how the birdseye maple holds up.

That's a gorgeous piece of work Ma'am. This one for your son too?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks, Fred.

Yes, it's for my son. Yesterday we communicated by phone video and I showed him some decal designs I came up for the headstock. He asked if I could put a manta ray on it. I found one in clipart, toned it blue and he was happy as a clam. Or should I say as a manta ray!

The "Fat" came from the fat head. "Blue" came from the guitar body I made him a few years ago.

Today I'll build the nitro over the decal. Tomorrow I'll flatten and rebuild until the decal edges are invisible. Still lots more work to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    With a little nitro, it's coming along. Time will tell how the birdseye maple holds up.
    Arise!

Great to see it made the move in good order. Even better to see you take it up again.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Yeah, I miss the "old days". Learning from you and the other masters here was fun. Definitely the most fun and most enjoyable woodworking projects I've ever done. I have a cabinet job that needs to be done, staring at me every day, and I just don't want to do it. While cleaning up the shop, I unearthed the birdseye neck and was instantly reminded of how much I enjoyed guitar making.

Now that I'm close to done, I find myself thinking of making another one. But if you don't play and don't sell them, making guitars is just a very expensive hobby!

That cabinet job may never get started...

I think you did a fine job on that neck, Julie, and hope you do get back to some instrument making once in awhile. It's ok if it's an "expensive hobby" if it brings you pleasure! I've been seriously thinking about making a guitar or bass or two myself, especially once I get through some of the learning curve with CNC. I'm not much of a guitar player (even though I own a somewhat collectable Kramer instrument that I played occasionally in a band I was in where two guitars were needed rather than my keyboard work), but the idea is intriguing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't know why making guitars appeals to me but I do know the skills I learned took my woodworking to another level. When I look at what I was doing prior to finishing my first guitar, it seems like amateur hour. Making the body is fairly straightforward but does require precision and patience. Making the neck requires a bit more precision but feel and developing an artistic flair are just as important.

I too am not much of a guitar player. The only gigs I played were in a garage band back in 8th grade. My dad didn't want a musician in the family and sold my guitar and amp. I made the first Strat because it was the guitar I had longed for when in the band. After it was done, I realized how rusty I had gotten but it was still fun to make. Making even one guitar is highly recommended.

I don't know why making guitars appeals to me but I do know the skills I learned took my woodworking to another level. When I look at what I was doing prior to finishing my first guitar, it seems like amateur hour. Making the body is fairly straightforward but does require precision and patience. Making the neck requires a bit more precision but feel and developing an artistic flair are just as important.

I too am not much of a guitar player. The only gigs I played were in a garage band back in 8th grade. My dad didn't want a musician in the family and sold my guitar and amp. I made the first Strat because it was the guitar I had longed for when in the band. After it was done, I realized how rusty I had gotten but it was still fun to make. Making even one guitar is highly recommended.
    But Julie, don't you really need to be able to play one to build one? I always thought it would be fun to build one, but I don't play - so how will I be able to judge whether it's an ok guitar or firewood?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    But Julie, don't you really need to be able to play one to build one? I always thought it would be fun to build one, but I don't play - so how will I be able to judge whether it's an ok guitar or firewood?
    Most folks can find a friend to "thoroughly exercise" an instrument once built. There are also some great videos on YouTube, including from Crimson Guitar in the UK, that detail setup and tweaking the action so things work properly and accurately. One doesn't need to "play" to do that work.
    --

I couldn't be satisfied I made a decent guitar until a decent guitar player gave it a run. With the first one I had my SO's son give his approval. The second one I was able to hand to a local band and get their critiques. One was about to leave the band to join Kansas as lead singer. He said the guitar was too light (that surprised me) but otherwise played well. One Tele I made is owned by a guy who performs at least weekly and he says it's his favorite guitar.

Like Jim said, there's a lot of great information online. I was very careful to follow the blueprints and numbers exactly. Do that and it's hard to go wrong.

He said the guitar was too light (that surprised me) but otherwise played well.
    ROFLOL! He would probably adore my two-ton Kramer! This sucker is major-heavy...but has sustain that lasts an eon, too. (If anyone is interested, it's for sale...contact privately)

--