Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the back yard

Opossum in the back yard

An opossum took up residence in my back yard. We have avocado trees and the 'possum likes to eat the partially rotten fruit that's on the ground - and right now is the picking time for avocados so there's lots of food available (they also eat snails, slugs, other fruit on the ground, etc. They're a real clean up crew.)

She's been around for a while but recently showed up with four babies clinging to her back. Here's a pix of the babies. Almost big enough to wean. I can always find them in the daytime because the dog sniffs them and points out where they're sleeping but otherwise he leaves them alone.

Cute little fellas, aren't they?

Mike

Possum babies 01.jpg

[A problem I have is that the dog sees her roaming the yard at night and starts barking in the middle of the night. I had to put paper on the bottom of the windows so he can't see out at night. After the avocados are gone she and the babies will move on, maybe another month or so.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

We have possums all over the place, found this guy under a trash can a couple of months ago. We used to have an outdoor akita that would eat them (and anything else he can catch). Luckily, my days of cleaning up bloody carcasses every other day are over.

Possum.jpg

Nasty little creatures. Giant rats if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Nasty little creatures. Giant rats if you ask me.
    Yep, they need a make-over. But they are nature's clean up crew, eating partially rotted fruit, insects, snails, and a lot of other things. If you can get past the looks, they're really harmless, helpful animals.

They are not aggressive, falling into a coma (playing possum) when seriously threatened, and they only come out at night so most people never see them. You can learn more about them at one of the national opossum websites here or here. And here's an article from the LA Times.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

They are cute, Mike, and usually infested with fleas. Just a thought since you do have a dog that goes near them. They will also eat cat food. A number of years ago a mama possum got into our office ceiling and had little ones. That was an adventure! We fed stray cats at the time and she lived off of cat food.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    They are cute, Mike, and usually infested with fleas. Just a thought since you do have a dog that goes near them. They will also eat cat food. A number of years ago a mama possum got into our office ceiling and had little ones. That was an adventure! We fed stray cats at the time and she lived off of cat food.
    Yes, they'll eat almost anything. If you leave cat food out, they will eat it and thank you for being such a nice person.

To get rid of them, cut off the food supply and they'll move on to greener pastures.

Just something I learned about 'possums: They don't live very long, maybe two to four years. And that's not because of predation. Even if kept in captivity, they don't live long - they just age quickly. Of course, they have a lot of babies (max of 13 per litter) so they don't die out. And since they eat almost anything, they fit into many different environments.

Mike

The other, 'other white meat'.

.22 LR bolt-action single-shot. Elegant and simple. A "no-frills" functional tool.

I've got a Remington, disassembled, wrapped in oiled rags somewhere around here. Has to be at least 75 years old.

Used to be my Grandfather's. Same guy with the branding iron from one of my previous stories.

Getcha one.

Oh - get a shovel also.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I use a single shot .410 Youth gun that I've had since I was 9 years old. We have plenty of woods that they are welcome to stay in, but don't want the fleas near the house, or EPM anywhere near the horses. It's against the law to relocate, and they don't stop coming back once they show up on a farm. If the horses didn't drop grain it wouldn't be a problem.

I heard a ruckus in the henhouse years ago. I went to check, and there was a possum sitting up on the roost with the hens. He was eating an egg holding it in his front paws with the top of the egg cracked open. I didn't want to shoot a gun in the hen house to startle the chickens, so I went back to the house and got a baseball bat. I was sure I hit it hard enough in the head to kill him, and decided I'd go back in the morning to dispose of the carcass. He was gone the next morning, but not heard from again.

Too funny - same Grandfather also had a breech-load single shot .410. Dunno what happened to it - I grabbed the .22 LR.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My wife filled the cat dish on the porch one night at dusk. The two cat appeared right away. She was watering plants and wondered what those stray kittens were feeding at the dish. She walked over and the "Kittens" were baby possums. They must have done this before as they and the cats got along just fine.

I do not want them around due to bug and the disease they carry. You got to hit them real hard but an easy slow moving target. I feel the same way about raccoons but a more difficult and dangerous target.

Yup, nature's sanitation engineer. We caught one of these fellows last year, in a have-a-heart trap. Put him in the woods to do his thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a dog that I hoped to be help with my cows, but she is scared of cows. The great thing is, she does not allow any creatures other than our cats in our yard. Last year I found some dead rats she displayed in the drive, and a while back a possum.

We would regularly find dead ones in our yard in MS. We had 5 yard dogs that weren't into sharing their food.