Thread: New Basement Woodshop Purchases

New Basement Woodshop Purchases

While I am not entirely new to woodworking I am only now in the process of putting my own shop together. The space is currently unfinished and roughly 16 X 37 feet long. I am in the process of framing the space out, wiring for a sub-panel, looking into flooring and finish options for the walls and collecting the needed tools. I am on some what of a budget so I am trying to find used equipment that is in good shape and will fit my purposes. I currently have a Rigid TS3650 Tablesaw (not my first choice but I will take it for now), DeWalt DW375 Planer, DeWalt DW708 Mitersaw, and all the smaller tools you would ever need as I worked for DeWalt for many years and collected almost one of any smaller power tools. I imagine I am still in need of a Dust Collector, Bandsaw, Jointer (currently looking for a used 8'), and drill press along with some other items like bench sanders, scroll saw, etc.

This week I was able to find what I thought was a great deal on a Jet DC-1100A with an upgraded canister filter and a Jet JDP-17MF drill press. The guy selling these never really used them, saying that he maybe only used the drill press a dozen times since he purchased it and the dust collector had never been used. It literally had never been turned on. He was asking $375 for the dust collector and $325 for the drill press. I offered him $600 for the two and he took it. I am really excited and I think both of these will work well for my needs. I plan on updating this thread on new purchases and making a new thread in the Woodshop section to post updates there on the shop progress and ask question as I move forward in the construction process. I am in no rush but I am hoping to complete the majority of the new shop over the next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome. Nice pics and nice machines. Good price too.

Hi Matt,

I think you got a great deal on these 2 machines - they look hardly used! New on Amazon they are $1,300 together, so I would say you did well!
    The Jet DC with the canister is definetly the way to go. I have the DC 1100, but mine is older and has the bag on top - the cannister is much nicer.

Congratulations on your purchases. If you set your drill press up with a table system such as the Woodpeckers, you will be able to perform repeated, accurate, and fast drilling on your projects. It's one of the upgrades that pays for itself.

main_wpdppack1.jpg

I would also think about some sort of separator the the Jet D.C. I installed one of Phil Thien's baffles in the bottom of my PSI dust collector. It was well worth doing - cuts WAY down on the amount of chips and dust that make its way to the filter. Others do a free standing 'top hat' design. Still others use a kit available from Jet that installs a metal baffle that looks sorta like an upside down Wok that is supposed to serve the same function. It looks like you have windows which is a major plus. More light is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hardy View Post
    I currently have ... all the smaller tools you would ever need".
    You're going to eat those words in the near future ;-)

Those are nice tools and a pretty good sized workspace. My shop garage is 14x24 and definitely challenged at times for space. One tool I hope you got from DeWalt is a tracksaw. A Rigid 3650 has limited rip capacity but with a tracksaw it won't be an issue. The track saw also needs less space to rip up plywood. I have a DeWalt tracksaw and like it a lot.