Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1980's Centauro 800 CO bandsaw help

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that this might be someone's first bandsaw. Most people start with a 14"! :-). You might be in for a bit of a surprise if you've never seen a saw this size.

Regarding amp draw, I think my 3hp fm-50 VFD is programmed to start up in 8s for my 20" saw. The longer the startup the lower the amp draw. And that range goes up to 999 seconds. You should be able to program out the amp draw problem.

On moving a biggish saw on its spine. You can rest the base on a pallet truck, skid or set of skates with some strong and clued in guys holding the top end up and pulling as necessary to get it to move. Probably worth considering looping some slings under it (in a way where they can't slip out) rather than try to hand lift - reduces the need to lift while bending and perhaps also the risk of it slipping. That way they only have to support the weight of the upper end of the saw - quite a bit less than half its total weight.

More or less the same applies when tipping it over out of the vertical - the weight really only comes on as it nears horizontal. Place a support under that end so that it's getting too much you can lower it and take a rest. Two of us working with care found my Agazzani 24in NRA 600 (probably similar or a bit less weight to the CO 600 Centauro) relatively manageable done this way. A reasonably significant lift (wouldn't ask my wife to do it), but not that bad.

The 800 is heavier, but presumably a couple of extra helpers should do it. (?)

One to watch out for if its moved into position that way is that (since it pivots around one edge of the base) it will require quite a bit more vertical height (admittedly over a small area) than the actual length of the saw to swing it up into the vertical...

I re-found this thread because I’m picking up a Centauro 600 CO tomorrow. Wonder what happened with the OP here?

Matt I just bought one a couple months ago and am in the process of going thru it and fixing and replacing parts. Tomorrow I plan to paint it then pick up my v belts and put the motor back on. Then we will start making sawdust. So far I have replaced the wheel bearings and had my motor bearings replaced, Also made a new handle for the fence and welded up a foot pedal for the brake. Also welded a new bolt assembly for the tracking adjustment and locknut for that adjuster. I also need to make a new dust collection spout. I purchased this machine for $600 and it is a Centauro 600 CO 1980 model. What kind of shape is the one you purchased in ?

I've got a few things going on with it that I could tell through a cursory review. The saw sat without use for the past 20 years, and the tires literally fell off in 2 when removing the wheels. Needs Belts, likely bearings in wheels and motor. It appears someone modified the table tilt mech and replaced it with a piece of angle iron, so I need to look into that and see if I can find parts. And the blade guard knob on the front was replaced, so likely the saw took a fall at one point. Need a VFD for the 3.5HP motor. I'm in it $450 so far, and I suppose 6 hours of gas to pick it up but I just call that a road trip to a new place and doesn't count! The saw was located at the Debois County Museum, which is located in the old Kimball Piano Company building. So I got a few tour from the two very nice gentlemen who work there and help me with the saw. And I learned my saw used to help build piano's and furniture. It'll continue with furniture making, but not pianos!

I'll shoot you a PM Mike.

Edit: Nevermind, I see I can't PM you unless you're a Contributor. Email me at xxxx
    Last edited by Matt Day; 04-21-2019 at 5:38 PM.

Matt, even if you have to do a bit of work and put a few shekels into that saw, it's a nice "heavy bones" machine that I'm sure you'll enjoy! Very kewel history to it, too. Please start a separate thread to detail your restoration efforts so we can all follow along!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. That’s what i was thinking when I bought it, that I’d have to put money into it. And the fact that the tires fell off and the bearings need replacing, etc are no bother to me, since I’d probably do all that stuff no matter what used saw I bought.

I’ll start a thread on it at some point.