Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1980's Centauro 800 CO bandsaw help

1980's Centauro 800 CO bandsaw help

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could help me out here.

have a chance to pick up this 1980's Centauro 800 CO 30" bandsaw for $700.
    its my first bandsaw but i don't want to play the get a cheap, then a bit better and finally a good tool game.
    Im at the point where i have the space and power and most of my ideas require a bandsaw.

anyone have experience with this machine and what i should look at when checking it out?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    $_35.jpg2.jpg
    Thanks for your time

Darin

No games played with that saw! A 30" bandsaw is a BIG saw.

Run and cut some stuff on it. See how it sounds. Looks like quite the deal on such a large bandsaw...so check it carefully.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That saw would be in my shop by now for that price if I knew where it was! I would be comfortable spending another $1000 on it after getting it for the price you are talking.

Just a word of warning--that saw is very large! If you never have seen one in person--the pictures you posted may be a bit misleading!

The common problem I see with these machines are damaged or missing guides. A new set of guides from Carter is $314. These guides are good--I use them on one of my MM24s and get great results.

The motor is probably undersized by current standards--I wouldn't worry about this too much. Also, the resaw height is shorter than what Mini Max offers on a current 32" machine.

From the pics you have posted--the saw looks to be in great shape. Most are beat up with dents and missing parts and an asking price of $2000 or more.

Greg Stahl
    Last edited by Gregory Stahl; 04-13-2015 at 5:51 PM.

Thanks for all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    That saw would be in my shop by now for that price if I knew where it was! I would be comfortable spending another $1000 on it after getting it for the price you are talking.

Just a word of warning--that saw is very large! If you never have seen one in person--the pictures you posted may be a bit misleading!

The common problem I see with these machines are damaged or missing guides. A new set of guides from Carter is $314. These guides are good--I use them on one of my MM24s and get great results.

The motor is probably undersized by current standards--I wouldn't worry about this too much. Also, the resaw height is shorter than what Mini Max offers on a current 32" machine.

From the pics you have posted--the saw looks to be in great shape. Most are beat up with dents and missing parts and an asking price of $2000 or more.

Greg Stahl

thanks everyone

any idea on the weight and moving suggestions?

I would guess 1000-1200 lbs, maybe less. Older machines had lower resaw height so they were lighter. Also depends if the wheels are spoked or solid. Bandsaws are not top heavy unless the top wheel is full cast iron. They move fairly easily. If you can remove the top wheel, you will have no problem. If not, be careful. Check the machine for vibration and run it and feel if the motor is hot. Older Euro motors are notorious for running hot and wearing out bearings. Dave

$700!!! Good lord, I didna think that thing was anywhere near that big. That's the problem with a pic like that, no context. I thought about calling on it to find out what it was and how much they were asking, but didn't. Glad I didn't, I don't know what I'd do with that puppy. Well, aside from sell Papa Griggio, my 24" bandsaw to make room, except that thing might not even fit in my garage. How tall is it? Is it single or 3 phase?

Assuming it's in decent running condition, it certainly looks really good, you've made one heckuva score there. You should be able to remove the table in order to move it, but it will still be very, very stout. Given the incredible price, I'd be willing to take a flier and call somebody who moves equipment for a living. If the cost is low enough, I'd just do that.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

It's one of the best built saws out there. It's very tall so have a very tall ceiling where it stands. Likely three-phase so you will likely need a Phase Converter or Varable Frequency Drive. Blades will cost a fortune compared to smaller saws and you won't be running 1/4" blades on it. See if the seller has blades included in the sale. It takes up a lot of real estate.

It should weigh in the neighborhood of 2000 lbs! The table on that model is 46" x 31" inches deep. If you look at it, measure the wheels. Normally a 800 model is a 32" saw--31.5" wheels.

Greg

http://high-tech.ie/hitechmachinery/...O_Bandsaws.pdf This is the spec sheet for your saw. I think this will be very helpful.

When I bought my MM16, the salesman told me the life of the machine was 2 shifts a day, for 20 years. If that saw has had occasional use, it probably still has 19 1/2 years of life yet.

I'd run and get it at that price. If the frame and wheels are intact the rest is fixable easily...
    As it has been said, watch the height.

Our Google friend says 99" tall and about 1500 lbs. A real big fella!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

To move it without a tractor or forklift (ideal), you're probably going to need to remove some weight. That table probably weighs 200lb and each wheel of CI will be 100lb+. I suggest a low trailer to transport.

Good luck! I moved my 1000lb PM 20" saw with a hand truck after I got the weight down to around 650lb.

Don't see anything majorly wrong in the photos. Price is a steal. Let us know how it goes.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep