Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 10 Deluxe Radial Arm Saw (Model 33-990)

Model 10 Deluxe Radial Arm Saw (Model 33-990)

Wondering what anyone out there knows about this RAS. I am in the works of creating a long (25 foot+) work bench with both a built in miter saw and a built in RAS. I would eventually like to complete a restoration on a really old rock solid RAS but for now, in which I mean probably the next 10 years, I wanted to pick something up fairly cheap that will not break the bank and will not require a lot of reconditioning at the moment. I will mostly be using it for cross cutting and dados. Most of what I find out there is either Craftsman or Rigid RAS that are not really impressing me much. I ran across this Delta recently on a local classified board and I am somewhat interested but there is not a lot of reviews or information out there on this model. Looks to be in decent shape. Anyone have any input on it or used it?

The add reads: Selling a Delta Model 10 Radial Arm Saw. Asking $150 OBO. The saw is in great shape, but I just don't have a need for it. It has a 45 degree bevel swing and a 24 inch cut length, which is perfect for wide cuts. I'll also include a carbide-tipped Forrest Chopmaster saw blade (originally purchased for $120).

It is a decent saw, about on the level of a DeWalt 7740. The problem I have with it is that it only crosscuts 12 or 13" (if my wandering mind is correct), where most 10" saws can be set up to crosscut 15 or so. That 24" you mention is what it will RIP, when the motor is turned the right direction. Take a look at how long the cut marks are on that table. It looks like the fence can be set back another two inches or so.

If that crosscut is long enough for you, it is a good deal with that blade, assuming it's good.

No stand? Make an offer if you want it. He is telling you that is an ASKING price.

EDIT: I was wrong about the crosscut capability, Matt found the specs, and it is 14 3/4".
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-08-2015 at 2:12 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick-

Thanks for the insight. I really can't find much on what its specs are. I was able to find this but I am not sure its accurate. You might be right that it has a smaller crosscut capacity.

Capacity:

Max. crosscut cap @ 14-3/8" wide

max. 90° depth of cut @ 4"

max. 45° depth of cut @ 1-1/4"

max. rip cut cap. @ 24-1/4

max. dado cap. @ 1-13/16".

The price is almost worth it for just the Forrest blade! Seriously though, that adds a lot of value even if it needs a sharpening. Also tells you the PO likely wasn't a hack.
    Some other more experienced RAS guys will chime in I'm sure.

The oval tube radial arm saws have a much better reputation, following, and used parts supply. You could purchase it for the blade and sell the saw devoid of the good blade. You could also use the saw until a better one came along.

What would be a better choice for a newer RAS? Say one that has been manufactured in the last 20-25 years and that does not need a lot of restoration? I know that RAS quality has gone down over time but just wondering if there is something out there that is decent.

I have a '57 DeWalt MBF. C-Cuts 13". That's all I need. Keep an eye on Craigs List for someone dumping one cheap.

0423001517.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

'Nevva' had a Delta , but had a Sears. Will the seller do a few test cuts so you can see just how accurately it will return back to 90 degrees? That was the biggest bugaboo with the radial ram that I owned. I had to be careful returning the arm to 90 degrees after cutting a miter. If memory serves me, the locking pin on the arm had a tendency to over ride the 90 degree detent by a 1-2 degrees. Form what I hear, this can be a common issue with a radial arm saw.

If it does return to 90 without any issues, and saw runs smoothly and is in good condition, it just might be what you need. Hopefully the owner has the manual for it. Setting up a radial arm saw involves numerous steps. From what I recall, it was a tedious job due to the number of adjustments required. But once dialed in, it worked well.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 04-08-2015 at 1:00 PM.

Matt,

Since you found those specs, I was obviously mistaken about the crosscut. All of those machines I have seen in person were set up like the one in the picture. As I mentioned, moving the table board so the fence is further back will give you the extra crosscut capability. Seems like a lot of owners never read the manual telling them the fence is adjustable.

So, if Delta say 14 3/4", that sounds good to me. As I said, it is as good a saw as the DeWalt of its era (7740), which I loved till I got my 7790 (12").

My reconsidered recommendation is to buy it. You can always sell it for what you paid for it if you ever want to upgrade.

Rick P

PS: Mine is locked in the crosscut position, and I never move it. I rarely use the table saw for crosscuts.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick-

I would also leave mine in crosscut position as well since I will also have a miter saw built into the setup which I will use for angled cuts. As far as the crosscut capacity goes I think i have found other documentation that states it is 12 3/4 inches which is't all that great. I think you memory was probably correct. Maybe if you move the fence back you could get to closer to the 14 3/4? I am thinking about trying it out this weekend and making him an offer of $100 bucks.

I have had that saw for about 14 years, it's been a good saw for me.
    I use it for crosscut only.
    I bought it new for the cabinet shop for cutting doors and face frames.
    I paid $750.00 new.

There is also this one for sale for $25 bucks but i just don't have the time right now to start a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hardy View Post
    There is also this one for sale for $25 bucks but i just don't have the time right now to start a new project.
    That one is 1/2hp. Not much power with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hardy View Post
    Rick-

I would also leave mine in crosscut position as well since I will also have a miter saw built into the setup which I will use for angled cuts. As far as the crosscut capacity goes I think i have found other documentation that states it is 12 3/4 inches which is't all that great. I think you memory was probably correct. Maybe if you move the fence back you could get to closer to the 14 3/4? I am thinking about trying it out this weekend and making him an offer of $100 bucks.
    This is about the longest cross cut for a 10 inch saw. The longer the cross cut the bigger the saw which means way more expensive. Not to mention you find more saws that are 3 phase.

As everyone says the blade is worth 100 bucks and that's the best blade on a RAS period. Give it a nice clean up and set it up according to the manual and it should work well.
    Don

Here is how I set up my DeWalt 7790. I did not use the stand, just set it on a bench, with the chop saw lined up. This (12") saw has a 16 1/4" crosscut set up this way, with the fence moved back as far as possible. The blade actually hangs over the fence a bit. It is set up for 1 1/4" thick wood, which covers almost everything I do. For thicker wood I just put a spacer in front of the fence. Please note the safety leaf on the left of the blade, and how it does not have to lift over the fence. This is for extra safety, as is the rip bar which I retained to protect against getting my hand near the front of the blade. It is raised for the picture.

Having the saw above the bench, rather than level with it, gives me a lot of storage for cutoffs etc., and allows me to use the bench for other things. The Kreg Foreman at the other end lines up with the fence as well.

P8150144.jpg P8150146.jpg P8150147.jpg

PS: Don, I have a 70's 10" Sears RAS I use for dado's and it cuts about 15" with the fence boards arranged for max crosscut.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-08-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.