Thread: DIY transmission jack adapter?

DIY transmission jack adapter?

Has anyone fashioned something to cradle a transmission on top of a floor jack, preferably from wood as I don't have welding equipment?

This will be for a Subaru transaxle, which is fairly large and unwieldy as far as manual transmissions go.

Thanks for any tips.

What about this hydraulic floor jack adapter from Northern Tools @ $49.99

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FB0aAkRA8P8HAQ
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I know there are off-the-shelf solutions, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for making one out of lumber. Thanks for the link, though.

My recommendation would be to go to your local tool rental store and rent a tranny jack for a day. I have pulled tranny's before and a standard floor jack is a PITA, they are just not designed for it.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    My recommendation would be to go to your local tool rental store and rent a tranny jack for a day. I have pulled tranny's before and a standard floor jack is a PITA, they are just not designed for it.

Bryan
    OK, that's good to know, Bryan. Thanks.

I have done it with some creative use of ratchet straps. Come to think of it, by the time I got a transmission jack, i paid someone else to use it. Shish. Bolt a plate or piece of ply to the Jack to make a platform for starters. Attach the trans to it easier then.